The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchase of an Elise but do not have a garage. I'm investigating renting garage space but would prefer to park it off street at my house (with a cover). Does anyone else do this? Would this set up allow for an all weather battery tender to be used?

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
I am considering purchase of an Elise but do not have a garage. I'm investigating renting garage space but would prefer to park it off street at my house (with a cover). Does anyone else do this? Would this set up allow for an all weather battery tender to be used?
If u r parking on the street wouldn't you be driving it every day and not need to charge it? Otherwise leaving it parked and especially covered on the street may be illegal for time frames longer than 24 hours.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I park my Lotus outside with a california car cover. Don't have a tender but I do make sure I start the car couple times a week during winter. Had it for almost 4 years like that and its no big deal. Next place will have a garage that's for sure!

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
At the height of the Elise sales, most dealerships had most of their cars sitting outside 24/7.

It was not unusual for Criswell in MD to have a couple dozen sitting out front all the time.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You know, there's this Elise that is always parallel parked in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle. It's on a shi tty cobble stone street pointed downhill. (At least it's pointed downhill, no rain in the trunk potential.) I can't even imagine parallel parking my Elige while dropping something off at the post office, let alone just leaving it parallel parked for weeks at a time. I don't know who the owner of this particular Elise is, but he either has a big lucky streak going or just doesn't give a f uck about his fiberglass clams.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
If you live in a rainy climate I would seriously reconsider.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I would not advise it, but it is doable. Eliges do tend to leak into the interior and also are known for blower motor resistor problems associated with water. Do you live in a very wet area?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Also a good chance tons of people will mess with it. I'm amazed at how much of a magnet these cars are after watching mine from a distance at a picnic for 3 hours. I guess it depends on your area and maybe all the kids in the neighborhood would get bored with it after they all got their pics taken next to it. Or sitting on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you live in about any climate I would reconsider... that is a lot of visibility. There are a lot of potential weather threats, a lot of people to see/**** with it ... lots that could go wrong.

Remember, if you get a Lotus, there will be some sacrifices you have to make. You need to make sure you have a home that is good for you AND the Lotus. You need to make sure you care for her like she is your own. Don't forget to fuel her and take her in for her periodic vet ... er, maintenance visits.

Damn, I thought I was talking about a dog for a second.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'd say secure a garage space and then get the car, especially if you're not going to be driving the car everyday.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I keep the Exige in and the Elise out.

Have 2 queen comforters sewn together I use under the cover. Cover is the brand Sector sells. I also use a bungie cord at the center grommets to a tight fit. Wheels /tires I use some RV covers on too. This setup works well.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Also a good chance tons of people will mess with it. I'm amazed at how much of a magnet these cars are after watching mine from a distance at a picnic for 3 hours. I guess it depends on your area and maybe all the kids in the neighborhood would get bored with it after they all got their pics taken next to it. Or sitting on it.
Yup. This.

In my area, people **** with my car ALL THE TIME. Leave boxed up leftovers on the top. Draw penises in the dust on the back. Move the side view mirrors. Etc etc.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If I did not have a garage to park it in vs. parking on the street, I would not consider owning an Elise for all of the reasons others have mentioned. A new clamshell (if you can get one) costs thousands to replace. Parallel parking is bad news for these items.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wouldn't park long-term on the street, but I've seen quite a few pictures from people here who cover the car and park it on a private driveway / lane. If you're in a nice part of town, I don't see how carefully covering the car and putting it in a secure, paved off-street parking place will do much harm beyond maybe leaving some swirl marks on the paint from dust under the cover.

I wouldn't leave the car uncovered outside for a length of time though, especially during a rain storm. These cars don't drain water from important areas, and even without precipitation all of the vents and louvres will pick up leaves and dust like nobody's business.

One thing to consider is insurance. Some companies charge more for cars that aren't garaged, and if you fudge it and then try to get a vandalism claim covered you'll be SOL.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If it's not going to be a daily driver, you could keep it in a public storage unit. Depending on the place, you might find a little half sized one that you could push the car in and out of.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Scenario in a highly populated city environment:
1. You'll either pay for a lot of body work out of pocket for however long you choose to own it. Then subsequently lose a lot of money when trying to resell.
2. You'll probably get it salvaged by insurance in very short order.

Scenario in less than favorable weather environment:
1. Your paint will pay dearly for it.
2. You'll probably get a lot of leakage at the window seals.
3. Critters might decide to settle in if you drive it infrequently.

Will it survive? Of course! But what kind of life is that for this delicate, purpose built car?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Buy an enclosed trailer. Done!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Are you in the SF Bay area? I was out there a couple of times last year and noted the parking situation. Unless you are wealthy or willing to live some distance away from the downtown area, you would be advised to own a more disposable car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts