The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I knew it was bound to happen but a soccer mom backed into my Elise and 2 months and $10,000 later I have a new rear clam and they did a very good job of fixing it. However they have not put the rear Lotus letters back as of yet which I have noticed has started a strange new pattern. Folks are pulling up at traffic lights to my right and asking what it is and I'm getting lots of tailgaters-close ones.

Take a vote do you think it looks better without Lotus written on the back/
Danger factor? I don't know, sadly though I know my car is devalued but I wasnt going to sell it anyway. But I wish the tailgaters would leave me alone!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Replace it with just the small yellow/green lotus badge in the center.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have noticed a lot of tailgaters getting close just to read the LOTUS letters. You can tell because you look in your rearview and see people in their car doing that lean-forward-and-squint to read something look.

The pro of this I guess is that they are looking at you, and your taillights, which is better than them not seeing you at all.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Just put some redneck "BACK OFF!' mud flaps on the rear wheel wells. That will learn em!:D Seriously though I personaly like the letter delete look because it looks clean and stealth but I got tired of people either asking me how much I paid for my Ferrari or what kind of car is that. Its ironic that people still ask me what kind of car it is even with the letters on it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ugh tailgaters - I always wonder, are they ever thinking about the possibility they might hit me & the cost their insurance will have to pay if they cause a collision? Whenever Im behind an exotic or expensive car in traffic or on the street; I like to keep my distance.

I try to control the driver behind me as much as possible during traffic by manipulating the pace, braking & acceleration to give them an idea to back off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Having the letters on saves you from having people ask what you what kind of car it is.
But then you get the question "Who makes Lotus?". :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I bought the car it did not have the letters on the back, but it also has a "Ferrari of Colorado" (or Denver... or something like that) frame around the license plate, so most people assume it is Ferrari. I took it off, but then the plate rattles, and I've been too lazy to get a new one, so I'm good with people making that assumption for now...

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I recommend a subtle and classy lettering.

Something that people see when they want to see it, but something that is not right in their face.

Something along the line of this

bond-lotus-420x300.jpg

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Personally speaking, I would put them on, but get plastic ones that are raised. I bought the ones that are going to go on my car off of ebay (chinese made...but what isn't now?) and total after shipping was $9. I was able to find a design that I liked best, and it is about the exact same size as what the factory letter sizing is, just at 1/6th the cost.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
When I had my old Mustang 5.0, I used to get ricers tailgating me all the time trying to instigate something. I got sick of it so I rigged up a water spray system in my trunk with the nozzle pointed up and back, with an activation switch on the console. It was relatively cheap and easy to make, just a cheap replacement windshield washer pump, tubing, the switch and a nozzle. It worked amazingly well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just throw the euro circle badge back there. Looks clean IMO :up:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
To prevent tailgaters get a bumper sticker which reads:
WARNING! this car is British, parts may fly off without warning.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
if the shop is good, your clam is probably better painted and better aligned than it came from the factory. I think having a repaired clam could mean loss of value, but a fresh clam is, in my opinion, better than having the orignial clam becuase it's just that... fresh and without any damage... this is especially the case on front clams which usually have chin scrape damage...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts