The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Text Below:

Currently, the cheapest Lotus you can buy in America is the $96,950 Evora GT. That's out of reach for most people, which is why the company is planning a new entry-level car to slot below it in the lineup. And it'll be the brand's last car powered by an internal combustion engine.

In an interview with Automotive News Europe, Lotus Phil Popham confirmed the car's existence, saying it will be priced between £55,000 and £100,000 (around $68,000 and $123,000)—well below the Evora's price range.

Popham said the car, which has yet to be named, will take design inspiration from Lotus's $2.5-million Evija EV hypercar, and be built in a new factory extension at the company's existing Hethel facility. It will have enough interior space for daily usage, according to the CEO. It will be revealed sometime between late this year and early 2021.

The new car is part of a plan to boost volume for the small British manufacturer from the current 1600 cars a year to around 5000 a year, with assistance from parent company Geely. Popham said future additions to the lineup could include a sporty sedan or SUV.

"Our focus now is on sports cars, but we do think the brand has the potential to move into other segments," Popham told Automotive News Europe."And Geely has expertise in areas such as electrification and autonomous driving."

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just cannot imagine a future where every sportscar is electric, how dreary. Especially for a company that is known for the driving experience, not performance and not being up to the same build quality as its rivals. I'm curious if the sports car market shifts back to internal combustion after the initial new technology EV hype becomes the norm. I would hope there's always going to be a market for petrol powered sports cars, and some brands are going to fill that niche. Seemed like Lotus was perfectly placed for that, being more focused on the driving experience and emotional connection, and not chasing numbers. EV's are no doubt going to be faster in every way, but the customer who wants the driving experience isn't going to care, and spend their money on what they want in a car. Porsche seems to understand this with the GT3.

Maybe I'm wrong, and internal combustion is going to go the way of the manual transmission, and doom us all to old cars for the rest of our lives.

Or maybe this is good marketing by Lotus to get everyone to go out and buy this "last of its kind" car.

Reactions: craigyirush

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
"And it'll be the brand's last car powered by an internal combustion engine."

That depends on what the definition of "last car" means. The Elise series 2 came out in North America and spawned Exige and 2-11 and has been kicking around for many years after that.

Maybe this "last car" will come out in 2021 and kick around until 2030 in various forms.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
The question is: will it come to the US?
A source at Lotus UK told me they were hoping for a world-wide release in Oct 2020 - but I have no doubt that is delayed... and will also probably be effected by current Evora GT stock sitting at dealerships.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Unfortunately, though some cars have been created, it seems Lotus has more of a recent history of beating its drum than actually pumping out cars. So I'll just think "We'll see" and also keep my V8 Esprit along with the Formula Continental rather than plan on what's next.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm excited as I've been waiting for the next Elise since the Bahar one in 2011...... And have been hoping for a more useable Elise. I loved mine and still regret selling it but the 987 I just bought shows how livable a car like that can be. The Elise is the better drivers car but having the Porsche you can see it wouldn't have taken Lotus much to make it (or the Evora for that matter) more livable. Then again the Elise was never designd to be that type of car but the majority of buyers dont want a raw experience. If it looks like the Evija, then even better.

I'm taking the last internal combustion engine thing with a grain of salt. As David said this model could be around for 20 years if the current line up is anything to go by. But also Volvo announced a few years ago all their cas would be electrified by 2020. It sounded like they were going all electric but in reality they meant all their cars would have some EV power, either BEV or hybrid so I can see Lotus being the same. It also makes semse to go EV though as it will help spread drivetrain costs with Polestar.

Anyways I'm excited to see whats coming

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
May be a tough sell in a global recession with oil at $17/bbl, and even late-dated futures in the $30s. China just cut subsidies for EVs by 10% but extended them to 2022. However, no current Tesla model is cheap enough to qualify. This isn't an anti-EV rant, it's just difficult to see the economics for a manufacturer like Lotus to sell electric vehicles at a price well below the current range? The least expensive Elise starts at 39,900 GBP, while the least expensive Evora starts at 85,900 GBP. That's the 410, so not directly comparable, but it's $106k USD and actually the lowest US price is $96,950, so let's pretend the Elise would cost at least $50k as is. Could they make an electric, federalized version for less than $70k base price? Maybe. How many would they sell? 200 in the first month, and then 200 in the next 24 months?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Forget the sedan concept.....Hot hatch.... I could see that. I suspect any new model will have a 10 year lifespan. Do we think another Evora will occur, say we finally get the 430?

The push away from IC is going to be exacerbated by what has happened to the environment so quickly during the pandemic. There's your proof folks!!
Now , Ev's or hybrids will need to run on clean power as well as the battery making process for me to be all in. Maybe this new model does, indeed, play nicely with my 2022 date for next toy at next major Bday!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Forget the sedan concept.....Hot hatch.... I could see that. I suspect any new model will have a 10 year lifespan. Do we think another Evora will occur, say we finally get the 430?

The push away from IC is going to be exacerbated by what has happened to the environment so quickly during the pandemic. There's your proof folks!!
Now , Ev's or hybrids will need to run on clean power as well as the battery making process for me to be all in. Maybe this new model does, indeed, play nicely with my 2022 date for next toy at next major Bday!
And back to the original topic and to steer this back on track. I read an interview with one of the big car company ceos in CAR recently. He said that electrification is not going away but there is plenty of life left in the I/C engine. He stated that the practicality’s of all electric and autonomous for that matter were too great for be the only solutions(s). He did state that the manufacturing process of the batteries was bad and where the power comes from can be bad, so they need simpler, cleaner batteries which are a long way away and they need clean power.

The next was the practicality of charging. Using London as an example he stated a lot of people park on the street and are not guaranteed a spot outside their house so how do they charge a car. Do you have power cords running across the sidewalk even if it’s parked outside your house. He said autonomy plays a part here as it could negate the need for a car in the city but it would need a wholesale adoption. He sees a future where we have both. His point was ultimately I/C powered cars will be around for the foreseeable future even if government legislation in Europe is banning them right now as there will still be a need for them.

Of course a low volume unnecessary sports car isn’t necessary but I’m sure the cost of a battery drivetrain is less than an I/C, easier to build, more reliable, less maintenance and avoids countries emissions standards so it’s a win for Lotus to get a car to market cheaper and make it available world wide. And I’m not against that. Once it’s the lightest EV and therefore following the Lotus philosophy, I’m ok with that .

Reactions: glb

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
@cornbeef,

I agree that hybrids, not full electrics are good choices for those who do more than commute. Our Prius was such a brilliant car that I was often surprised.

We could drive to CA emitting fewer bad things while never having to stop and recharge in the middle of the day.

Thanks for that post.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Leave politics out of this thread please. Start your own thread if you feel compelled to argue. Thanks.

San

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
???

·
Registered
394 Posts
When whole fleets of rental cars are EV, IC will not just be in trouble but the battle lost. I would not care to rent a car and then have the trouble of figuring out where/when to find electrons as a distraction to either a business trip or vacation

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Leave politics out of this thread please. Start your own thread if you feel compelled to argue. Thanks.
San
I think San refers to me here, because I felt it important to point out that the largest Climate change denier group in world is our frigging GOP.

You then said we didn't need politics in the thread. I then pointed out that you posted a highly-charged political thread bashing Obama and asked why it was fine for you to post political crap and not me.

Because Republicans don't like being called out for their oddness?

Pls answer my question before San shuts this down.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I think San refers to me here, because I felt it important to point out that the largest Climate change denier group in world is our frigging GOP.

You then said we didn't need politics in the thread. I then pointed out that you posted a highly-charged political thread bashing Obama and asked why it was fine for you to post political crap and not me.

Because Republicans don't like being called out for their oddness?

Pls answer my question before San shuts this down.
What part of my post wasn't clear? Which part of play nicely or you'll earn a timeout don't you understand? You're out of chances, period. I thought I made this clear, but you keep stirring the pot. Walk away.

San

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Thanks San. What glb referred to was said many moons ago...certainly not in this thread.
I await Lotus releasing info on their future. I certainly know of plenty of Evora's out there that I can flog till I die if necessary. Hell my closest dealership has a half dozen waiting for me to beat on.

I think we can all agree, its going to be ALL about how it FEELS to drive any new model regardless of power source. Lotus is still the benchmark for making the BEST feeling cars in the world...I do not expect this to change. I can't wait to see an Evija in the flesh!!!! I am really torn at present between updating my beloved 2011 S with lots of quality , troublefree track time for a newer Evora, but at the same time, I have had 2 Evoras and am starting to want to try a new flavor someday. It was the same thing after 8+yrs with my Elise. I have to be patient!...and frankly, after the past 6wks..I am broke!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts