The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm... My AC seems to be working fine (top on). But it does sound like an old fridge. Is that another TADTS?

By the way, when people say the AC is terrible are they referring to it with the top being off? I havent tried it with the top off but when its on I dont even have to turn it all the way the the 3rd level before I get cold.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
my a/c is an unadulterated piece of crap. top on.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Don't know if what you are hearing is abnormal, sound is subjective.
The A/C is marginal at best, therefore the top needs to be on.
Hmmm... My AC seems to be working fine (top on). But it does sound like an old fridge. Is that another TADTS?

By the way, when people say the AC is terrible are they referring to it with the top being off? I havent tried it with the top off but when its on I dont even have to turn it all the way the the 3rd level before I get cold.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
why do people expect their AC to work with the top off? no one runs their AC with their windows down and expects it to stay nice and chilly in any car...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
What do you mean exactly by it sounds like an old fridge? Do you mean the blower inside is noisy? or that the fans outside on the front of the car are noisy (which btw I think they sound very cool when they are running)?

Mine works ok but I tend to have the hardtop on a lot, windows down and AC on medium fan speed, max cool setting. I never really cared that the AC is a bit loud. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Don't know if what you are hearing is abnormal, sound is subjective.
The A/C is marginal at best, therefore the top needs to be on.
Marginal's a compliment at best, top on. I'll never forget sweating my ball$ off with the AC on full-tilt en route from Universal Orlando to the Stanley Cup finals in 2005. And you've had to do what to your car to make it acceptable down here? -poke- :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
wow - at least your AC works. I'd take noise any day if my AC actually functioned well.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
For what its worth. I NEVER understood people who claimed how good their A/C worked. The A/C in both our elises suck.

We bought an Exige and the A/C will freeze you out of the car even on hot days, and its a black exige at that!

So there are differences in the way AC units work on these cars.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
For what its worth. I NEVER understood people who claimed how good their A/C worked. The A/C in both our elises suck.

We bought an Exige and the A/C will freeze you out of the car even on hot days, and its a black exige at that!

So there are differences in the way AC units work on these cars.
Is it because it's a hardtop or a completely different system?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
One reason to explain why the A/C seems to work differently in individual cars is the way the system was originally installed. My understanding is that is common to find air leaks in various parts of the system that had not been sealed properly.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
One reason to explain why the A/C seems to work differently in individual cars is the way the system was originally installed. My understanding is that is common to find air leaks in various parts of the system that had not been sealed properly.
And the dealer had my car in-shop no less than two times with no improvement. :shrug:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Mine works great with the hard and the soft top. Works best with the hardtop obviously.

Loud on fan speed 3 but so is the rest of the car

Didn't buy her for comfort

:shift:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I first tried the AC it didnt work at all. But I then pushed both buttons where they were lit and a couple minutes later I was cold as hell. Works well for me. Maybe its just an individual thing.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
When I first tried the AC it didnt work at all. But I then pushed both buttons where they were lit and a couple minutes later I was cold as hell. Works well for me. Maybe its just an individual thing.
Yes, that means you have on both your airconditioning, and the re-circulate air conditioning. You should not have to have both buttons pressed to get AC.

The AC also wont work if you dont have the dial turned to the A/C On.
(The blue digits) side of course.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts