1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loud clicking, car won't start. new battery, engine brand new. *VIDEO*

EDIT 10/5

CLIFFS:
-took starter to be tested. Starter tested to be in 100%working condition.
-jumped starter via fist hammers instructions, starter turned the motor proving to work.
-removed direct power aka fat boy wire and ran another wire in its place, same problem.
-checked resistance on OEM fat boy wire, showed .001 resistance. Checked voltage across fat boy wire, showed 12.6 volts from battery to starter.
-checked voltage going to starter solenoid when hitting the starter button on car, again 12.6 volts.
-changed multi function relay with known good relay, same problem.
-Hooked wire straight from Solenoid on starter straight to battery, turned key, touched wire hooked up to solenoid to positive terminal on battery, car cranked, but did not start.
-Ran cold compression test, 185 across board
-Checked spark, no coils were activating
-Found out I was to have a grounding cable from negative terminal on battery to chasis, hooked one up, same issue.
-Checked solenoid plug on wire by squeezing copper into the plug, and hooking the other end of wire to solenoid on starter using an alligator clip, same problem.

Ok so my question is, how on earth am I getting 12.6 volts to the solenoid plug, yet when I plug it in, it doesnt activate the starter. When I run a wire straight from solenoid on starter and touch it to positive terminal on battery, it cranks. Is the issue the dang plastic plug is corrupt somehow?

Also, no dang spark from the coils. This is one puzzle Im ready to solve, as exciting as it is.

9/10
i just got through piecing together this engine. practically everything is new, including the battery. today i finally got through snapping everything together and was ready to start the car, aka judgment day.

put the key in the ignition, all lights came on, you could hear the fuel pump whirring, press start button, and all i hear is click click click. the interior lights flash on and off with each click. the engine doesn't even attempt to spin. mind you this is a brand new battery. any suggestions?

don't mind my grammar, I'm typing this from my phone inside a dark storage room.

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
i just got through piecing together this engine. practically everything is new, including the battery. today i finally got through snapping everything together and was ready to start the car, aka judgment day.

put the key in the ignition, all lights came on, you could hear the fuel pump whirring, press start button, and all i hear is click click click. the interior lights flash on and off with each click. the engine doesn't even attempt to spin. mind you this is a brand new battery. any suggestions?

don't mind my grammar, I'm typing this from my phone inside a dark storage room.
I hope it's this simple, but is perfect depiction of weak battery and/or bad connection at battery, in cable, on ground.

New battery doesn't necessarily mean fully charged.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK got a video for you guys. its more then likely not the battery as i charged it last night and its showing to be fully charged on the trickle charger. it sounds like its coming from underneath the engine, possible starter? on the same note, before this rebuild, this car was hooked up to a battery in reverse for ten seconds (noticed my mistake when the alternator started smoking ), but started right up when putting cables on correctly. anyway, here's the video.. .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you tried a different bigger good battery? What you are using may not have enough cranking capacity causing the solenoid to disengage when the actual starter motor begins to draw current for it's operation.

P.S. when I try to view the video I get a "The video is private" message.

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
What is the cca of the battery?

btw, the video is set to private, I couldn't watch it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill look up the CCA, in the meantime try the video again. I set it to public. Sorry about that :)

And no I have yet to try a bigger battery. This is the battery recommended by BOE for their clam hinge kit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think I can hear the starter motor trying to spin after the solenoid clicking meaning spinning after the pinion has disengaged from the flywheel.... not enough juice to turn the engine. Trying a bigger battery (if you have access to one) is the easiest test to eliminate where the problem is. Can you push start the car or at least confirm that the engine does crank and isn't hydro-locked?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I can hear the starter motor trying to spin after the solenoid clicking meaning spinning after the pinion has disengaged from the flywheel.... not enough juice to turn the engine. Trying a bigger battery (if you have access to one) is the easiest test to eliminate where the problem is. Can you push start the car or at least confirm that the engine does crank and isn't hydro-locked?
i did turn the crank via the pulley clockwise and it seemed to turn freely. No hinderance whatsoever

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I am wondering if the starter solenoid was damaged by reversing the polarity. Test the battery voltage, should be 12.6V fully charged. If you have recently charged it, you need to dissipate the surface charge by turning on the headlights for 5 mins.
Michael

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can't watch the video at work, but if you can jump it from another car for a quick battery replacement test.

·
Registered
188 Posts
FWIW, My exige did the exact thing 2 months ago - loud clicking without turning over - turned out to be vapor lock. Pushed it down driveway, let out clutch slowly, started right up..

I had tried switching out batteries, jump starting, recharging, the whole bit first.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am wondering if the starter solenoid was damaged by reversing the polarity. Test the battery voltage, should be 12.6V fully charged. If you have recently charged it, you need to dissipate the surface charge by turning on the headlights for 5 mins.
Michael
Hey Michael, can you expound more on this? You being an electrical guru, does this sound like a battery issue

I can't watch the video at work, but if you can jump it from another car for a quick battery replacement test.
Tried this, no luck :/ Im thinking about trying another battery all together.

FWIW, My exige did the exact thing 2 months ago - loud clicking without turning over - turned out to be vapor lock. Pushed it down driveway, let out clutch slowly, started right up..

I had tried switching out batteries, jump starting, recharging, the whole bit first.
After you got it to start, are you having any trouble since? My car has been sitting close to 3 months..and I do live near the ocean (lots of salt in the air, although car is in storage.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
First thing I would do is to take the spark plugs out and try the start test again. If the engine spins freely, it is an engine problem of some kind.

Are these interference engines??? I am curious if the timing of the cam shafts were not set right and the valves are hitting the pistons. Not likely if you can spin the engine freely via the crank pulley.

I would then pull the starter motor and take it to a parts store to be tested. That clicking sounds like the starter solenoid, sounds like the engine is spinning slightly but not much,

What is the gauge of wire going directly from your + of the battery to the starter? Should be a rather large and short wire.

From the video, looks like a starter issue to me. Either your starter is bad or it is not getting enough voltage

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Hey Michael, can you expound more on this? You being an electrical guru, does this sound like a battery issue
My concern is the accidental reverse polarity. Usually, some of the engine management fuses in the engine bay blow, but these would have very little to do with the starter, worth a check though. The smoke from the alternator does not sound good, and BTW, there is a wiring connection between the alternator and the starter. The simplest check is to test the battery as I described above.
Michael

·
Registered
124 Posts
Had more or less the exact same sound a month ago when I put my car back together. In my case it was the battery (an external battery used to jump start cars) even though it was fully charged. When I plugged in my Voltphreaks battery it started right up.

In my case I could se the crank turning slightly for each click. Have a shot with a differnt battery with more cranking power.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts