The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hit a bump at 50kms/hr having not seen it. I heard a loud knock from the front wheels. Sounded like a metal hammer hitting a metal plate. I am guessing it was the shock absorber basically being compressed all the way and hitting the top.
Did I cause major damage here? The car drives normal and suspensions seem fine.
The car is 1 year old so could the shocks be bad ones or does this happen when hitting bumps/pot holes with you guys also? Should I have them replaced under warranty?

Any advice would be grateful.

P.s. My shocks are the stock shocks on a lotus Elise sc with touring pack only. No sports pack.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vulcan grey. I am worried I may have caused major damage but the drive feels normal and everything looks intact. How easy is it to damage these?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Not too easy, but sometimes people do work on the car and then don't torque bolts correctly or use Loctite, and the bolts come loose.

Always good to take a look.

Since it only happened once, you probably just bottomed out the shock or the spring coils.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the reply. If the shocks or coils did get damaged from bottoming out, the car wouldn't drive normal right? I just want to know if i damaged anything as all seems ok with the drive, steering, movement of the shocks and hight of the front of the car. What would be the symptoms of a damaged shock/coil if you happen to know by any chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it still making that noise? Just jack up the car, unbolt the wheel and take a gander for any visible damage. If its as dramatic as you make it sound, it shouldn't be hard to see. Hard for anyone to diagnose what that noise means with just a vague description.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it doesn't still make the sound. It just made the sound at time of impact with the bump and now the car drives very normally. Sorry if the description isn't clear. I am trying to describe it as detailed as I can :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's a procedure that has worked for me on other cars:
1. Place a short 2 x 4" flat on the ground
2. Drive over it very slowly, one wheel at a time

This helps to isolate the noise to a particular wheel; it is also good to have someone outside the car to listen and watch for movement.
Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks chris for the reply, but guys I have no sound now. It was a sound heard only at time of bottoming out.

Thanks all for the feedback :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts