The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone missed this announcment!

Source from: Lotus Recalls 860 Elise, Exige and Evora Models

"Elsewhere, 80 examples of the Lotus Evora S built between September 2010 and September 2011 are being recalled.

To help resolve the problem, Elise and Exige models affected by the recall will be fitted with new hose fittings while the Evora S will receive a whole new hose assembly. As you’d expect, all repairs will be carried out free of charge."

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Looks like a new one, probably a result of my incident.

This is what the result looks like (if you're lucky): http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/breakdown-184178/#post2574018

Fortunately I was only 5 Km from home and the exchaust was still cold. Had it happen on the Autobahn it would have looked different.

And, yes, they did change all the hoses.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Can we verify that this is a different problem from the #2 recall last year ("Elsewhere, 80 examples of the Lotus Evora S built between September 2010 and September 2011 are being recalled.")? The NHTSA bulletin on this new recall (#3) says its for the fittings. So do we need to have the oil cooler hose replaced again?
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Note that this is all separate from recall #1 for the oil filler hose.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This looks separate from the last recall. The last recall was related to the line that runs between the engine and firewall having the potential to fray and eventually burst due to potential abrasion points. This has to do with how the fittings on the ends of the hoses were manufactured and involves replacing the front oil cooler line and redoing the fittings in 4 other locations.

Every time I think I may not see the service guys for a while something pops up.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Definitely different from #2. Issue is that some of the fittings were not properly pressed, so the hose could loosen under pressure.

I believe it is similar to a prior recall that affected only a few cars.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
While I'm glad this problem has been caught and Lotus is being proactive, three recalls for oil hoses is a bit much, especially after similar issues in previous models. Their supplier(s) are pathetic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Given the number of fittings they have to change out I wonder if I get a free oil change for my troubles.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I could understand that with the last recall given the location of the line and what was involved, in this case they'll end up draining everything but the engine. If nothing else I'll try to convince them to cut me a deal on an oil change at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I got the official recall letter today from Lotus, so it appears I still need to have something replaced, even after having the work done for the first 2 recalls. The letter said that a specific fix had not been devised yet (or words to that effect) and that the dealer would be in touch when a plan was in place. :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
The fun of owning an early S, we seem to get all of the recalls.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
After receiving 2 previous letters advising me that this recall (#3) was coming, today I got the official letter saying the solution is a "replacement of the oil cooler hose to a revised specification" and to contact my dealer to make a service appointment as the parts are available now. FYI, I did have the work done on the first 2 recalls, so that didn't eliminate my needing this third one. TADTS

Of course, I had my dealer do the annual service 2 weeks ago, and the car is going into storage on Saturday, so the work will have to wait until spring. :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
After receiving 2 previous letters advising me that this recall (#3) was coming, today I got the official letter saying the solution is a "replacement of the oil cooler hose to a revised specification" and to contact my dealer to make a service appointment as the parts are available now. FYI, I did have the work done on the first 2 recalls, so that didn't eliminate my needing this third one. TADTS

Of course, I had my dealer do the annual service 2 weeks ago, and the car is going into storage on Saturday, so the work will have to wait until spring. :huh:
I was at my dealer today for service. I inquired about the recall as I received my letter Saturday. They said that they did not have the parts yet and it sounded like they weren't sure when they would be getting them in. I inquired because my car will be going into hibernation in about 2 weeks or so as well. :(

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Just an initial notification. Fix is in the works.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Has anyone had the 3rd '11 Evora S oil line recall (#14V-280) performed yet? (My car is off the road for the winter so I have not had it done yet.) I'm just wondering how long it takes.

It looks like this time they have to replace the right hand rear, right hand front, left hand rear and transfer oil cooler hoses. So, I know it isn't a quick fix, but wondering how long it actually takes. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Mine is bookes for 2 days in two weeks. Should take about a 8-12 hour was the estimate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts