The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The low beams on my 2005 Elise are not working intermittently (out most of the time now). It started with the driver side headlight going out occasionally. Replaced the bulb, but it still went out occasionally and then the passenger light started to go out intermittently. Sometimes the light will come on when I turn on the headlights for a short time and then go out or come on after driving. Now both lights are usually out, but sometimes one works (and the one that works has alternated between the two).

High beams work fine.

I suspect either a ground issue or a relay issue. The front clam was replaced a couple of years ago after someone backed into me, and the lights worked after the repair.

Since it affects both lights, but not necessarily at the same time does anyone have any suggestions where to start. Are there headlight relays and where are they located. Where would the two headlights have common wiring? I am reluctant to pull the clam before exhausting all "simple" fixes.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The problem is in the control side circuit of the relay, the power side is independent for each light. As each low beam is has it's own control relay, that makes it an unlikely cause. A possibility is a circuit fault within the 'Switch Pack Module" that houses the relays, or an issue with the SPM plug connector. The SPM is buried under the dash top :shrug:.
Michael
The low beams on my 2005 Elise are not working intermittently (out most of the time now). It started with the driver side headlight going out occasionally. Replaced the bulb, but it still went out occasionally and then the passenger light started to go out intermittently. Sometimes the light will come on when I turn on the headlights for a short time and then go out or come on after driving. Now both lights are usually out, but sometimes one works (and the one that works has alternated between the two).

High beams work fine.

I suspect either a ground issue or a relay issue. The front clam was replaced a couple of years ago after someone backed into me, and the lights worked after the repair.

Since it affects both lights, but not necessarily at the same time does anyone have any suggestions where to start. Are there headlight relays and where are they located. Where would the two headlights have common wiring? I am reluctant to pull the clam before exhausting all "simple" fixes.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A possibility is a circuit fault within the 'Switch Pack Module" that houses the relays, or an issue with the SPM plug connector. The SPM is buried under the dash top :shrug:.
Michael
That is what I am afraid of. I have no idea, but I am guessing the SPM is a non repairable r&r item that is expensive, and hard to get to :(

Plus I bought my car from HRM and they used to do the service. Now I don't have a Lotus dealer that may be familiar with this. I am reluctant to go to Valenti or my local mechanic who has done basic work on the car, but would not be familiar with work like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts