The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Really enjoying digging into my Esprit. So far its been a lot of fun to drive and a much more comfy and relaxing cruiser than I was expecting.
It seems though as one item ticks off the list, two more pop on.
I will try to provide a brief scenario that I believe is related to my current issue so as to provide some context.
Also, keep in mind, I have only had the car long enough to take it out less than a dozen times so it only FEELS like something is off when it could be fine.
During one drive. I was accelerating in 2nd and was getting plenty of boost but then it felt like it "spun up" like the boost gauge jumped but no corresponding performance jump. Next acceleration out of a stop in second I hear a POOOOFFFF out of the engine bay and no boost and flatline on the boost gauge. I didn't feel like I was driving too hard but maybe so. I was able to limp home with a N/A Esprit now. Popped the hood and couldn't get the engine cover off. The Chargecooler had been knocked off sideways where the MAS(?) had pinned the engine cover down. I was able to unclip the MAS and wiggle the engine cover off. Found the hose had popped off leaving the Plenum Nozzle open and the rest (Hose, clamps, BOV, Chargecooler, etc) askew about an inch to the side.
Obviously, some amount of abnormal pressure originating from somewhere blew the apparatus apart. I pushed everything back together and clamped down the hose clamp to what I think was an appropriate level. Test drive at the time had to be short but was able to confirm regain of boost.
Next opportunity to drive I made a point to mind the boost gauge and boost overall. Note that up to this point, my concentration was familiarizing myself with the car and learning how to drive it. From my vantage point, and I suspect many drivers' I cannot see the boost gauge AT ALL unless I take my eyes off the road which was not an option as I was learning how to drive the car. The car drove fine. Not crap, not hair-on-fire exhilaration. Just fine. Minimal boost in 1st and 2nd and acceptable go with other gears. The boost gauge is flatline (around 7oclock) during idle and low RPM rolling. I seem to remember 0 reading (around 10 oclock) at idle. Under load at 2500-3500 RPM the boost slowly builds from flatline to around .04 bar and get my fine performance but not what I think I remember.
On top of that, I feel like I'm hearing a ticking that may be a exhaust leak? (Please, God, No)

Again, sorry to be wishy-washy. These things could be normal and I am remembering wrong and paranoid.

Sorry for the wall of text that probably doesn't provide enough info. I would just like to know if I have a problem and where to start.

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
First off if you are seeing zero boost at 7 o'clock then you either have an aftermarket boost gauge or yours is defective. Zero boost at idle is normal and you will only see boost under load (not by revving the engine) If you have blown off the hose to the charge cooler (assuming you have a stock one) and it moved the chargecooler then you are likely missing nuts that secure the chargecooler or the rubber isolaters are broken (common) but it sounds as if someone had the chargecooler off and forgot to tighten the in and out hose clamps as i've never heard of overboost being so high that it would blow the hoses and shift the chargecooler. What max boost are you seeing now? if its stock then you will only see a max of 0.65bar with some exceptions (temp and WOT application) It would help to see a pic of your gauge and engine compartment (also what year is the car?)

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
I agree with the above. I haven't had an issue on my V8 Esprit, but back in 1986 I bought a Buick Regal Gran National. It was the fastest car that year. It was a 3.8 liter V6 that was turbo charged and inter-cooled. It was noted later that the hoses that connected to the plenum or intake from the inter-cooler would loosen up and cause lost boost and exactly what you describe. Maybe someone had your intake off and did not tighten as then should. Don't know. I don't know if maybe an overly rich or lean condition caused what in a carburetor car would be a backfire and that caused the separation. The clamps and also the hoses need to be good quality on the inter-cooler or charge-cooler in this case. I don't have much experience with the 4 cylinder cars so much more accomplished people on here, but I would start by removing everything that was loose and checking it out and resealing anything, meaning check any gaskets for breaks or cracks and all hoses for the same. I would them put it all back together and see where you are. Just my 2 cents worth as we say here in the States. I got my own issues to deal with on my car!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts