The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question / input....... If on a budget of @ $25-28k, which is the better buy on an '05-'06 Elise, a low mileage (under 10k) rebuilt title or higher mileage clean title Elise with 40k+?
Wouldn't be a daily driver, but probably 5000/yr of driving which would really push the mileage up if it already had a lot.
Curious for opinions from the community....

·
Registered
175 Posts
hello

I may have what your looking for, 2005 rebuilt elise. text or call for more info 3344797011. The names chris.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
Decide if you're buying this car as an investment or one to keep. If it's the latter, go for the rebuilt one.

·
Registered
814 Posts
As someone who has a higher mileage Elise (currently around 52k, but I have owned since 3k), I would say go with higher mileage because at least you know the car is straight. Issues that arise with mileage are more correctable than frame issues.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The difference between 10k and 40k isn't huge in the grand scheme of things. In that situation I'd go for the clean title, especially if you think you'll sell it down the road.

10k salvage (provided the frame is thoroughly inspected) v. a few higher miles clean and I'd go the other way and get the salvage - these cars do hold up well, but by 70k you're easily past due for bushing and shock replacement, you might need a radiator, and the car is probably showing a bit of wear in other places too.

With the salvage pay close attention to the frame and suspension components (especially where they attach to the frame). With the miles car, pay careful attention to radiator, the HVAC and lighting functionality, and the condition of the suspension components. Keep an extra eye out for corrosion of the uprights and arms. Obviously with either car make sure it runs and shifts well, especially on the high cam (6300+rpm), and shows signs of proper maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Common things to check on ANY Elise.
Broken tabs on front turn signals: try to lift out the front turn signals with gentle force. If it comes out, you have a problem.
Erratic instrument such as Tachometer or Speedometer: This one is obvious when driving.
Electrical switches: Emergency flasher, AC fan speed selector (resister pack is a pain to replace), turn signals, wipers, headlamps and running lights.
Radiator: check for any wetness or weeping before and after your test drive. A freshly washed car may mask this sign. Ask to see the car which has not been immediately washed before you arrive.
Windows: make sure they go all the way up and down; ensure they do not rattle excessively.
Shifter: Usually loose and wanky-feeling, but make sure it goes in and out of all gears (especially reverse and 5th) with ease.
Plus: all the usual stuff, clean oil, no oil in radiator, no water in oil, no smoke from exhaust, smooth engine note, no rattles from valvetrain, etc

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was in similar situation. Went with higher mileage(62k). 10k miles later in a year, no issues at all, car looks very good (ask BCSpeed, he's seen it). It's a simple car with a fancy outside...made to be driven. With a little bit of care and maintenance it will last. Maybe it's just pride, but I would never get a rebuilt title. Shocking people when I tell them it's a 10 year old car with 70k miles and no issues is also fun. But maybe I'm just lucky (so far, knock on wood)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Rebuilt for track car, higher mileage for a driver.
If you hit a wall on a track, you'll have either a damaged rebuilt car or a damaged rebuilt car with high mileage.

On the street, you'll have a car that was at least taken care of to get it to XXX miles. And a good condition high mileage car is better than a poor condition low mileage one.

They'll both suck to re-sell in 3 years and 30k miles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Rebuilt for track car, higher mileage for a driver.
If you hit a wall on a track, you'll have either a damaged rebuilt car or a damaged rebuilt car with high mileage.

On the street, you'll have a car that was at least taken care of to get it to XXX miles. And a good condition high mileage car is better than a poor condition low mileage one.

They'll both suck to re-sell in 3 years and 30k miles.

+1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I initially thought higher mileage, but I have seen a few higher mileage that just seemed a bit worn looking. So, then I thought if I found a rebuilt that only has around 10k miles, it would probably be a well maintained recreational car that was unfortunate enough to wind up in an accident - providing its only clam damage. Thanks for your input Akatedjonez. Anyone have feedback that has purchased a rebuilt title? I plan on keeping one for awhile as a "fun" car. I figure all is relative as far as resell, if I buy a higher mileage or rebuilt for a lower price, I can expect a lower resale price when I would decide to sell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts