The Lotus Cars Community banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,122 Posts
Got my Gaz shocks for an 87 Turbo Esprit. Only took ~3 weeks. I plan to reuse the original springs but having 2nd thoughts to buy the Lotac springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,244 Posts
Did you pay extra for the personalized branding? :wink2:

(I keep thinking of the Ford Explorer shopper who wanted his own name on a new truck, like that guy Eddie Bauer) :D

·
Integrator
2,892 Posts
ALTERNATIVES:

There is a very good adjustable shock sold In US, QA-1 DD501 Proma Star with separate adjustable rebound and compression. https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/DD501/10002/-1

Friend of mine tested Eibach/Bilstein LOTAC set, which was pretty good in racy street driving, but bit expensive. Next, he tried a set by Nitron and did not have anything positive to say about them. They offered less than LOTAC-s. Nitron supplied the springs and said you have to use those, you could tell they struggled initially when they came with added nursery springs for the back . If you went off their spec the guarantee went out the window along with liability, and these were Lotus approved . Also, pretty much cost prohibitive for non-independently wealthy individual.
Finally, he got a set developed by Dave ("Changes" on TLF) and he could not stop talking about it. Prices are competitive, damper/spring kit £985 GBP , Polly Bush set for 93 on - £650, other v8 and SE kits are priced differently.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Finally, he got a set developed by Dave ("Changes" on TLF) and he could not stop talking about it. Prices are competitive, damper/spring kit £985 GBP
Yes I recently inquired about Dave's kit based on GAZ dampers. Sounds like a good value and well thought out.

Curious did you friend sell off the Nitron parts. Might like to play around with them if he has them and is willing to sell.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Hi All .. Not been on Lotus Talk for long time . Yes I have put together a GAZ Gold damper kit with a set of 2 1/4'' springs to suit the 88 - 04 Stevens Esprit .. These need an adapter spring seat mount which i also supply as part of the kit.. The ones featured above by @sleekgt are the steel version for the 84 model 'G' cars . These are also available for the models I listed above . They are cheaper to purchase but the quality is the same .. However they are just over 1kg heavier on each damper and more subject to corrosion .. As a result I chose to go with the anodized alloy light weight versions .. I only put this Kit together after testing and comparing to the other options . I have run and tested this set up aggressively on my Esprit with great results .. It provides the balance and dynamics i was looking for .. One of the main features i was exploring was traction , this would be under power and breaking .. Because I am developing 450+ ft lbs of torque and 461 bhp out of my 89 SE , traction became a problem .. The engineers among you will appreciate getting the spring rate and damping correct is the way to facilitate the desired balance and weight transfer,. Once achieved i was able to put the power down more aggressive whilst maintaining great stability .. The driving experience was vastly improved .. What was also improved was the ride quality .. This was no longer rattling my teeth over small bumps, while still remaining very poised and composed through fast cornering .. With the kits i provide a basic set up and instruction. This will enable the owner to bolt in place with appropriate ride height and balance to use until they can get to a professional outlet to get set up correctly .. The instructions also provide tips and GEO info for those wishing to run a more aggressive format, accounting for wheel and tyre set ups . The Price @MRDANGERUS mentioned was an introductory offer which expired with the first stock order, However I am pleased to confirm I have new stock orders being delivered soon which i will be putting out at £1100.oo GBP . Two of this stock order have already been spoken for. If anyone is interested and wants more details on application for their Esprit , I can be contacted on [email protected] . Always happy to help Advise is free..

I also carry stock of Lotac polly Bush kits From £600.00 GBP .

·
Super Moderator
4,122 Posts
Plates in my picture are aluminum not steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I was referring to the damper body construction . The spring mounting plates are the same .
Except yours may be for wider dia spring

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Hi Erik.. They are a lug nut cover that appears like a center lock .. You need to remove the nut to get to the two fixings for the cover.. It is actually quite tidy set up . I was very pleased how it came out ..

181 - 191 of 191 Posts