The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sparked by the "Whats left" thread, I started wondering....is it possible to put an LS1 motor in our cars. By this I mean for it to be a minimally invasive swap...no frame cutting.

Dimensions of 2zz(in its lotus config)

652mm Long
659mm High
608mm Wide

Weight 248lbs

Dimensions of Ls1(c5 trim)

747mm Long
559mm High
510mm Wide

Weight 464lbs

Now, 200lbs + the extra weight of whatever tranny you could make work(Getrag??) would be well worth the 300ft lbs from idle....no other mods necessary...ever.

Worry about your exhaust's sound and look rather than hp/tq gains because it wont really matter...any config on our car would be less restrictive than most aftermarket setups for the Fbody/corvettes.

Since the Ls1 is almost 100mm thinner than the couldn't you position it farther forward? This should aid in rebalancing the chassis. Plus, the extra rear weight will only aid in traction.

I noticed that the upgraded Elise radiator is similar to the corvette ones, so with two oil coolers, this engine should never have heat issues.

This is just me talking out of my ass...I have no real experience with such an endeavor but it sounds reasonable and would be a dream to drive =p

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
it would spin in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any insight as to why? I saw that Hennessey were planning on doing that monster v10 in our chassis

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's a lot of weight in the middle of car not designed for that much weight in that spot. Suspension, chassis, and brake changes would be mandatory. That's just too much motor to be trail braking into a turn without a lot of beefing up in other areas.

Not to mention cooling requirements. Our car bodies can barely cool the 1.8 liter. The V8 would be impossible to keep cool back there I would think. And that brings in heat fatigue issues for the frame.

Neat idea. It's always natural, I think, to ponder "will an LSx fit in here?" I've owned two Formulas myself. It's a spectacular motor, and the latest generations continue to impress. You can't argue with 400hp, 30mpg on the highway, and 85% of the torque available from tickover on up...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Not to mention cooling requirements. Our car bodies can barely cool the 1.8 liter. The V8 would be impossible to keep cool back there I would think.
Really? My experience at the track is that the car is quite cool even toward the end of a full session.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There's already an Elise with a drivetrain that's absurdly heavy. It's called a Tesla.

So it appears the chassis with appropriate modifications can handle it.

I think the bigger problem is that 95cm is three feet :eek: I'm not sure how you squeeze an extra three feet in there.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
With enough time and money you could do it. There's no lateral transmission for the LS1 so you're going to have to go with a longitudinal - i.e. Porsche tranny. This will make your wheel base a bit longer, but no worries, you were going to make a new rear subframe anyway. Well.. now you need a new custom rear clam. The rest (listed above) is probably the easy stuff.

·
Registered
583 Posts
lol at this thread!

lost count of the number of "can this engine fit" etc etc...

if you want a V8 Elise, then here you go:

it's for sale Here
other GT-1's had the Vett ZR1 engine fitted.

·
Registered
454 Posts
There's already an Elise with a drivetrain that's absurdly heavy. It's called a Tesla.

I think the bigger problem is that 95cm is three feet :eek: I'm not sure how you squeeze an extra three feet in there.
95 mm not cm, or .3 feet

Probably still isn't room for that either.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would think a nice 2.3L T motor would be a better fit. Probably similar weight to what a toyota motor weighs & easy to get 300whp/350-400wtq from 3-7K rpm's.

2.3L engine's to consider

Mazda's 2.3T
Dodge 2.3T
Saab's 2.3T

These engine's would give a much better powerband compared to the ecotec motor, it's just would they fit & how much would they add (if any) weight wise.

saab 2.3T with GT3071r on E85 & 30-35 PSI

saab 2.3T with 2871r

2.3T with ECU & exh

I think a 2.3T from Dodge, Mazda or Saab would be SWEET

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

That's 95 mm...

My concern would be adding 10% more over-all weight to the rear. The weight distribution is 38/62

If you add 200 lbs to the rear (not including the weight of new transmission) that makes it 34.5/65.5

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's 95 mm...

My concern would be adding 10% more over-all weight to the rear. The weight distribution is 38/62

If you add 200 lbs to the rear (not including the weight of new transmission) that makes it 34.5/65.5
it's not only about F/R weight, consider how high up the weight is, this has way more bearing on the cars handling per say...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's not only about F/R weight, consider how high up the weight is, this has way more bearing on the cars handling per say...
Exactly, and the LS1 would be lower, and further toward the front of the car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts