The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this today.

Brian,
I appologise for the delay in my response.
I am 80% certain the LSD is a Torsen Differential but I am awaiting details including torque transfer details.
Concerning tires; I will ask SCCA about the regulations because 30 rated tires are not street legal (if I understand the regulations correctly) and are softer than the minimum rating 60 as supplied by Yokohama on our Sportspack 048 tire. If SCCA do not require street legal tires then we will work with Yokohama to produce a more competitive tire than is currently available from Kumho/Hoosier.
Regards,
Tony

I will forward the SCCA regs to him about the tires. But does anybody know if D.O.T. legal tire is one and the same as a street legal tire. Are there tread and compound restrictions?

Brian

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
DOT has nothing to do with the treadwear rating as I understand it.

The DOT legal means it is street legal means it has visible min tread depth. It's a game that Kumho and Hoosier and BFG and others have played. Make a street legal racing tire so that we in stock SCCA classes can run them in stock. Even if they are softer than goo.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I thought. So the 60 tread wear rating is probably a compromise for real street use while not overheating and last long enough.... what ever that is.

It still won't be as fast as the Hoosier/Kuhmo offerings. I hope that 205 fits.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wow!

I probably won't seriously compete n AutoX, but I think that the comment from Tony;
"If SCCA do not require street legal tires then we will work with Yokohama to produce a more competitive tire than is currently available from Kumho/Hoosier."

is a strong statement that Lotus is interested in helping the Elise to be competitive in AutoX. I am glad they are taking an interest. I wonder why Yokohama has not found necessary to make a competitive AutoX tire to date, but but Tony thinks they would do it for Lotus. This end of the tire market must be very limited.

Greg

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'll add, as an FYI, that the treadware rating is not standardized and can vary by tire manufacturer (well, the test is standardized, but it's done by each mfr. independantly). In other words, a 60 Goodyear won't necessarily last as long as a 60 Toyo or 60 Pirelli, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
BrianK said:
I'll add, as an FYI, that the treadware rating is not standardized and can vary by tire manufacturer (well, the test is standardized, but it's done by each mfr. independantly). In other words, a 60 Goodyear won't necessarily last as long as a 60 Toyo or 60 Pirelli, etc etc.
not to mention the extremely light weight of the Elise will much it much easier on tires than other cars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts