The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference with rear tire wear with LSD. My lotus doesn't have it but my 94 miata R does, the tires screech sometimes when making slow turns.

did a SEARCH with no luck.

are you guys replacing just rear tires or do you do them all at once? I notice my rear tires look a lot worse then my fronts, you can still see the lines on the front tires but the rears... a different story

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I get about 2.3 rears to 1 front. As for the LSD causing more wear, I have no idea. But 2 vary worn-out rears to 1 worn-out front seems the norm.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Considering that the Elise LSD is a Torsen design, it doesn't lock the wheels together. Your Miata must have had a different type of LSD. I doubt there is significantly more wear.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had limited slip in two of my BMW three series cars and in my MINI Cooper S. I never had additional wear on the driving wheels because of the limited slip. In fact, under hard driving, I would imagaine you'd get slightly better wear, since whenever a wheel slips, traction would be sent to the other wheel.

I think alot of the rear tire wear has to do with the 60 percent weight to the rear of the Elise. That had hard acceleration would certainly increase the wear. Not sure how my tires will do, as they look like they were replaced at some point, so, I have no idea how many miles are on them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There would be a very minor or no difference in tire wear due to the Torsen type of Quaife LSD the Lotus has installed...

If it was a disk/clutch type LSD like the Kazz etc then you would probably see a difference as these clutches are built very tight and need more resistance to slip free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts