The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
Got an email from Tony Shute confirming that LSD WILL be offered as either a factory or dealer installed option, no other details at present.

I know this will make some autocrossers happy!

Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Not that some of us ever doubted it. :)

Remember though, for SCCA legality, it HAS to be a factory option, not a dealer option.

We understand this to be a Torsen.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Not that some of us ever doubted it. :)

Remember though, for SCCA legality, it HAS to be a factory option, not a dealer option.

We understand this to be a Torsen.
Do I need to call my dealer and request my #8 order to have a LSD? Or do you guys think I am out of luck?

Adam P

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It will not be available for the first cars. And probably not for a while.

But you could retrofit it later or slide down the waiting list. I plan on adding it later. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I guess I will also have to retrofit since my order already went in as well. So excuse my not taking notes before, however, about (just an estimate) how much will this cost? Should the Lotus dealer do this, can a Toyota dealer do it? Can I assume that this is not a shadetree mechanic's job?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Cale said:
So I guess I will also have to retrofit since my order already went in as well. So excuse my not taking notes before, however, about (just an estimate) how much will this cost? Should the Lotus dealer do this, can a Toyota dealer do it? Can I assume that this is not a shadetree mechanic's job?
it's really not a hard job to put in an LSD but it does take some time. The only part that really takes skill is to set up the differential once you get it out. Any differential shop should be able to do this for you. So, is it a shadetree mechanic's job? Maybe not. But it surely does not require an F1 pit crew.

-Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
cantwaitforelise said:
How far down the line do you think this will be? I know this is only speculation. I'm #51 at Overseas Motors.
Hmm... that might be just around the right time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here is a link to a thread re LSD on VX220 site.

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=5955&st=0

One poster said that:

"Fitting an LSD to the car just makes it develop more understeer. We've a Quaife torque sensing lsd (sitting under my desk now) that we tried and we decided against it."

If true, I would think that only those with LSS option and a desire to autocross / track would want a LSD.

It will be interesting to see a comparision w and w/o.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I will be AXing and tracking mine. If the Elise still has no rear sway, I am not sure if I'll get wheelspin driving the line. All the driving I have seen has been showing power oversteer, not truly driving fast. Only if I end up spinnning a rear wheel will I think about adding the LSD. I'll trust Lotus to have done what's right for the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
About retrofitting, my understanding is that you can add (retrofit)a feature only if it's on the current model. If it comes on a later model and you add it you would be in Street Prepared. So if the SCCA considers LSD equipped cars to be a later model than the ones first sold you CAN'T convert your earlier model and stay in stock.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HI All,
Got an email from Tony Shute confirming that LSD WILL be offered as either a factory or dealer installed option, no other details at present.

I know this will make some autocrossers happy!

Chris
So is it going to be Window Pane, Q-bert, Orange Julius, or Rainbow?

Personally, I think it would hard to autocross with all those bright orange cones in your face!

:D :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
LeftyS7 said:
About retrofitting, my understanding is that you can add (retrofit)a feature only if it's on the current model. If it comes on a later model and you add it you would be in Street Prepared. So if the SCCA considers LSD equipped cars to be a later model than the ones first sold you CAN'T convert your earlier model and stay in stock.
Right. As I understand it, the LSD will be offered on 2005 model year cars.

http://kcbx.net/~rloomis/brnacid.wav

1 - 16 of 16 Posts