The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a mis-installed LSD rob the car of horsepower? The car dynoed lower and on the track the car is slower after the LSD was installed? Can this be true or do I have other issues? thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't see how it could. When both wheels are turning the same speed, the guts of the LSD just go along for the ride.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Plus, if it did and you noticed, the loss must have been at least several horsepower ..... only place this could go would be (friction) heat loss which would toast your transmission fluid & plates (if clutch type) pretty quickly I would have thought :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you guys but wanted some more opinions. I am at a loss here. I did a leak down on the engine and compression test and everything is fine. I think I will try a different dyno but my dyno guy has always been very reliable in the past. I have a friend who has a dynapack dyno so that is what I will try. My only other thought is I replaced the cat and perhaps it is bad somehow but I would think I would have some MIL's or something.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Since you have been dynoing your car, what other modifications have you made? I would be suspecting something else is amiss...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
An LSD does add more driveline losses, possibly up to ~5hp worth.

The LSD weighs more than the open diff, and adds rotational inertia, as well as some frictional losses.

Personally I think it can add more than it takes away. I put an LSD in my Acura RSX Type-S and love it. I would put one in the Esprit in a second if they werent $2400...

A poorly installed LSD is also a possibility. There is a critical matter of shimming the differential preload to a certain amount of torque, usually measured with a spring scale. Too little differential preload, and you have slop and possible wear problems. Too much preload and you have too much friction and accelerated wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts