The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word is that the new Toyota comes with LSD. Can anyone confirm that this will be available on the US Elise:confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Word is it that the new Elise will not come with LSD.

I believe also you are talking about the new Toyota Spyder which will have LSD in 2004. The Elise uses the Celica GT-S engine, not the Spyder's drivetrain.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My understanding is that the answer is NO on the LSD for the Elise, though you could install one aftermarket or by Lotus Motorsports. It is not on the stock federal car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very few people bother with LSDs in UK cars and even with 190 bhp its unlikely to be a necessity. I guess if you tune to 230+ it would be more desireable.

Does mean that donuts are likely to be impossible, but they are pretty silly anyway ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
The JDM Celica 2ZZ-GE has a factory available helical LSD. So, there's no reason why a USDM 2ZZ-GE couldn't be mated to one.

There are also many aftermarket options. As for the aftermarket LSDs, the same part usually fits the Celica, MR2 Spyder, Matrix, etc. as long it's a manual tranny. I'm not sure if the factory unit is universal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah but you can't just chuck on an LSD and assume it will be set up correctly for the Elise. If you do that you'll end up with TVR style engineering!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it not broke I'm not gonna fix it. If I can get it as an option I will, if not I won't.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No LSD on my boxster, and lets just say this, it really needs it. If you have ever been on the power through a turn that switches from oncamber to off, you will know why lsd is a good thing.

Instant slip...

Scot

·
Registered
148 Posts
All a properly setup LSD does though is let you get on the power a bit earlier coming out of corners. I know very few bother with them in the UK unless racing as the Elise just isn't that powerful. Still if it is well configured for the car I can see why people would want one.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
DanH said:
All a properly setup LSD does though is let you get on the power a bit earlier coming out of corners.
The key to winning. :)

As you said, if I was not racing the car, it would not be a big concern.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get in a car without an LSD. Position it so one tire is on ice, and the other on pavement. Prepare to go nowhere.

THIS is why its good on the street. 99% of the time you wouldnt notice the difference, but when you need it, lsd is a welcome improvement over normal differentials.

Scot

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The downside of LSD on the street is when both rear wheels are on a low-traction surface (rain, snow, ice) and you're a little heavy on the right foot in a turn. Instead of one wheel spinning, the whole car may be spinning. When both rear wheels lose traction, you lose all directional control.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Does anyone know if it will be part of the sports package? I would like LSD on mine ;)
I would have thought it would be standard on a car that is all about handling turns quickly. I suppose it helps not having it though, for those that think sliding the tail out is the fastest way to go around a turn :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
As I understand it, LSD is not part of the Sports Suspension which includes-

Rims
Tires
Struts
Springs
Lowered
Changes to the steering rack

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Randy Chase said:
As I understand it, LSD is not part of the Sports Suspension which includes-

Rims
Tires
Struts
Springs
Lowered
Changes to the steering rack
How much lower will it be?

What changes to the steering rack?

:confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I don't know how much lower. I don't think it can go a LOT lower before it sitting on the ground. But the different struts and springs lower the car, which changes the steering rack.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here are the two most helpful LSS links I've managed to find...

Two pictures and some vague info...
http://www.s2elise.co.uk/tuning/handling/lss.htm

General suspension info, with LSS blurbs...
http://www.elise-faq.info/content/suspension/index.php

Questions answered by those links:
1. Looks like the lowering of the car is adjustable with LSS. I'd guess 20mm-ish, though.
2. Looks like the steering rack itself isn't different, but has a mounting bracket that lowers it to reduce bumpsteer.

New questions raised and thoughts seeded by those links:
1. What's a "steering plate"?
2. I hope the LSS wheels can be obtained in silver rather than black.
3. I hope that the adjustable bits of the LSS setup (spring platforms, roll bar) come with reasonable-default settings from the factory.
4. I've read that very firmly damped cars are more nervous/twitchy when navingating poorly surfaced (bumpy) twisty backroads than are more softly sprung cars. Is there truth behind this, or is it misinformation?
5. Will LSS cars compete directly with non-LSS cars in a stock autocross class? If so, what autocrosser in their right mind would opt out of LSS?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
They will come setup from the factory.

As far as autocross, that raises some questions. Will SCCA allow LSS as standard in stock, if Lotus only makes 300 LSS models. There is a precident for that in the Porsche M030 models.

Will 205 series tires fit on the car at all? If not, there are no stock legal racing tires for the front.

Will LSS change the car in that the 205s do not fit because it's lowered, in which case, you would be better off without the LSS.

Questions, questions....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
strawtarget said:
New questions raised and thoughts seeded by those links:
1. What's a "steering plate"?
I guess you're talking about the so-called '10 notch steering plates'. These are simple replacement mounting plates with the holes drilled at slightly different locations to allow the entire steering rack to be moved upwards as the car is lowered to keep the bump-steer in check.

BTW.. Completely eliminating the bump-steer is possible, but you'll need some fancy, custom made and expensive adjustable steering arms.

2. I hope the LSS wheels can be obtained in silver rather than black.
Should be no problem. The O.Z. Superturismo's used in the S2 LSS were/are available in either black or silver when the suspension kit went on sale.

3. I hope that the adjustable bits of the LSS setup (spring platforms, roll bar) come with reasonable-default settings from the factory.
Depends if it will be a 'factory' option or 'dealer fitted'.

Still it should not be a real problem as the specifications on ride height and suspension/wheel geometry are well documented in the Lotus service manual.

Anyway.. You may want to have the geo checked on every new Elise after about 3 to 6 months use as they tend to 'settle' after a while and (unfortunately) they often come from the factory with somewhat bizarre geo settings.

A good geo setting really transforms the car and is very noticable. Just shows how sensitive the Elise is in this respect and how well the driver is 'informed'..

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts