The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word from Lotus when the LSD option might be available? I am considering bumping down the list until it appears on the spec sheet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff- Thanks so much for the input- I was hoping that if it becomes available this year I could update my order, (if my car hadn't been built yet). I guess I'll have it installed when it is offered in 2006.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If Lotus has to install the LSD themselves (rather than receive it already-installed from Toyota), I can certainly see why they would have to charge a lot to offset their cost.

This one is a big deal for me, so I'll probably pay whatever they ask.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
strawtarget said:
If Lotus has to install the LSD themselves (rather than receive it already-installed from Toyota), I can certainly see why they would have to charge a lot to offset their cost.

This one is a big deal for me, so I'll probably pay whatever they ask.
Not just the install, I heard Lotus will be using Quaife's and they are very expensive. The LSD option will not be a cheap one for sure.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok guys,

Why not purchase a quafe LSD, install it your selves, and when the car comes with it next year your car will be legal for autox with the LSD AND you will have the car for a year to enjoy, verse droping off the list because of no LSD. I also bet that you can do the install of the quafe and the purchase of the unit for less then lotus is going to charge!

Adam P

·
Registered
107 Posts
Adam: Because if the LSD is not offered as an option until model year 2006, then a model year 2005 car cannot use the LSD and remain stock for autocross. If the LSD is offered "next year" (as in January, 2005) on the model-year 2005 cars... that would be great!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
And note... it only has to be offered, regardless of cost, to make it SCCA stock legal. If Lotus says you can order a 2005 model, sometime... with an LSD, then it's legal to retrofit your car with the same LSD.

That is what I am hoping and planning on, otherwise I would consider waiting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
LSD

The Lotus dealer from Greenwich, CT told me yesterday that LSD will be a dealer installed option this year so that those who wish to upgrade will still be able to race as stock if they decide to upgrade later. He said that Hethel will not be installing this option. Take that with all of the rumors, but he sounded like he knew the scoop.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
And I was getting all optimistic over the correspondence with Tony at Lotus regarding the availability of the LSD...has that enthusiasm simply evaporated? If so, I really should just go get my deposit back.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Almost sounds like a misunderstanding from Lotus, which I can see happening.

They need an LSD option. Adding it here would be expensive and problematic. Maybe the dealers can add it as an extra cost option? Yeah, that would work. Then the autocrossers get LSD and dealers make more money and we have solved the problem!

But they did not know that the rule that the car must be as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think both Tony and Nick understand what we need. Why take the time to string us along. Why reply to the emails at all. We don't represent that many cars. If it had no chance it would have read differently.

I don't think it’s guaranteed but I'm not too worried. I'm on the retrofit boat.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Then the autocrossers get LSD and dealers make more money
This sounds a bit odd when taken out of context... What the heck are you guys doing at these "autocrosses"

hehehe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts