The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** Not trying to set off another flame war, so please let's not argue about whether LSD is good or bad for the Elise. Knowledgable opinions have been expressed on both sides. ***

I did a search today to determine which LSD units are available for the Celica. As fas as I can tell, Toyota does not offer the Celica with LSD from the factory. They do offer an aftermarket unit through TRD. Looks like it costs about $800 --> TRD Source. I've rebuilt diffs before, and it can require pretty expensive tools to get it right, but it looks like the clutch packs come pre-assembled on this kit. That would make it a fairly simple drop-in piece (for someone who is used to working on cars.)

Another company named Phantom also makes an LSD conversion -->Phantom LSD. This is much less expensive, but looks like bad news to me. Apparently it doesn't replace the diff internals, it just adds a spring clamp.

Interesting stuff. I don't know whether I'll drop the TRD LSD in mine. The only track time my Elise will get is when I instruct for track days (about 10x per year.) Since those aren't competitive, the improvement in lap time isn't as critical. Nice to know there are readily available options.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Toyota offers a factory helical LSD in the top of the line JDM Celica.

Also, the USDM MR-2 Spyder gets a LSD for the 2004 model year, and I believe it fits the Celica.

Among aftermarket LSDs for the Celica tranny, there's Quaife, Kaaz, Cusco (I think), etc.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the Phantom Grip, but heard about them on a few occasions. It seems to be a typcial case of "you get what you pay for" (or "there's no free lunch" ;) ). Certainly not the kind of part I would consider to make one of the best handling sports cars in the world even better!

There is a Quaife available for the Celica (info here).

Edit: Typed this before seeing the previous response. Looking those up, here is another link:
Cusco LSD (2000+ Celica GTS)

·
Registered
40 Posts
read my post a few posts down. You can use the european LSDs in the C60 tranny, so I'm sure the c62 tranny would also work.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Here is the link to the Quaife unit, with the price.

monkeywrenchracing.com/quaife_helical_limited_slip_differential_toyota_celica_mr2_s_matrix_2000_.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts