The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LSD question

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  glacialmoraine 
i'm looking into purchasing a 08 exige s 240. however, this vehicle is not equipped with lsd. i'm not planning on taking this car to a track at all, but is lsd a must if i do decide to track this car? also, will i notice anything on the streets? tia
Many feel that LSD is detrimental on a road course. You won't miss it on the street. I have no first hand knowledge of this as I didn't hear it personally from any of the engineers or factory drivers, but I have heard reports that the Lotus factory drivers do not like the LSD and Lotus only put it in as an option to help the autocrossers.

If you are ever, ever, ever, EVER going to autocross AND are never, never, never, NEVER going to track it you want an LSD
fixed that for you rnr ;).

ksp3c, don't think that you won't get bitten by either the Auto-X or the track bug. I've seen it happen several times. "I'm never going to track my car" then when it's up for sale "only tracked for 20K miles and autox'd 40 times :D."

I dunno about LSD, but my lotus IS equipped with LDS. (Being that I am a member of the Latter Day Saints (Mormon Curch) here in Utah. My Lotus is technically LDS driver equipped! ;) Bad Joke, but I couldn't resist.
Yes, very bad. Resist that temptation next time...... p-l-e-a-s-e -poke-.

Actually haven spent plenty of time tracking the Elise at 3 different tracks I have to disagree - the car has been just fine with an LSD and at least one owner has datalogged proof of an improved laptime after putting in an LSD into his car :shrug:

The reason I specificaly mention autocross is because it much more likely that you will notice the lack of LSD at autocross than you will notice any supposed understeer at the track.
I truly base my comment about the LSD only on the hearsay from the Lotus drivers as I have never driven an Elise or Exige with LSD.

And, yes, I am aware of the benefits of LSD for auto-x and mentioned Lotus making it an option for the auto-xers.

I have heard reports that the Lotus factory drivers do not like the LSD and Lotus only put it in as an option to help the autocrossers.
So was I having a 60's LSD flashback and really didn't hear this? Or do the brits just have a completely different driving style than those on this side of the pond? It seems that the majority here are liking the LSD more than not on the road courses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.