The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The options for an LSS car are limited but still dizzying when you have to decide between 195/50, 205/45 or 205/50 on the front. I don't really want the price and tread wear of the OEM tires. I've looked at Toyo R888 & R1R, Dunlop Direzza II and DZ102, Hankook Ventus, and Bridgestone RE-11.

With a list of priorities I thought someone might chime in before I drop the coin on new shoes?

These will be primarily street tires but I want to go an occasional autocross and driver education day on the track. I really want a tire that has great steering feel and neutral handling, more so than ultimate grip.

My desires, in order of priority, are:

1) precise and communicative steering (why I've been trying to stick with 195's if I can find them)

2) handling balance front to rear (vs ultimate grip). minimal understeer and oversteer

3) harshness and noise (not trying for a luxury car, just would rather not have especially stiff and harsh tires--I make spirited drives on rough winding roads)

4) ultimate cornering grip

5) reasonable cost and tread life

6) enough wet weather capability to keep the car from being dangerous if I get caught. I don't expect to get caught in the rain very often, if ever.

My guess is there might be a few more owners like me, so hoping this is not a completely selfish post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sure I will get a "do a search noob" comment.

I have tried but am now going much deeper.

But don't know how to delete my post. Sorry.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Everyone has an opinion. Mine is Toyo R1R. Relatively inexpensive, has all your attributes.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I ran NITTO NT01's in the rear because they were priced great and last longer than the R888's/AO48's. I wasn't tracking my car so it didn't matter. I ran R888's in the front. I was happy. If you're tracking, then get the R888's all around. I also ran Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my exige all around and loved them, but they are hard to find in our sizes now. I was dissatisfied with the Toyo T1R tires.

Here's a pic of the NT01's in the rear and R888 tires in the front. Tread looks almost the same, both are great tires.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I ran NITTO NT01's in the rear because they were priced great and last longer than the R888's/AO48's. I wasn't tracking my car so it didn't matter. I ran R888's in the front. I was happy. If you're tracking, then get the R888's all around. I also ran Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my exige all around and loved them, but they are hard to find in our sizes now. I was dissatisfied with the Toyo T1R tires.

Here's a pic of the NT01's in the rear and R888 tires in the front. Tread looks almost the same, both are great tires.

That's because the Nitto NT01 is manufactured by Toyo and is the same construction and compound as the R888. The only difference is the tread pattern.

San

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am sure I will get a "do a search noob" comment.

I have tried but am now going much deeper.

But don't know how to delete my post. Sorry.
You don't have to search? Mines 8 below your thread and there's 3 more by the end of the next page.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/lss-tire-choices-really-suck-215737/

I decided to get the Dunlops 205/50's and the 235/40's in case of getting caught in the rain by mistake
Cheers
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Sometimes I get confused, But I think your rear tires on on backwards.
Seems as if the channels would push water to the center.. and that's exactly what you don't want.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
My theory:

People tend to get in trouble most in the rain.

A048s fine on wet pavement but dangerous in standing water. (Aquaplaned all the way from Boston to NJ.)

RE11s are good, but not a grippy as A048s in dry. But: Cheaper and can be stored in cold temps. Much better wear too.

RE11s great in heavy rain.

Bridgestone's new version rides better, but less grippy in dry.

Tire Rack tests, when applicable, are very informative.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Based on A LOT of recent autocross data...Dunlop Direzza ZIIs.

However, if you wanted to wait a little bit (end of the month) supposedly the new Hankook RS3 Version 2s are supposed to be pretty nice. But the Direzzas are our club favorites right now...other than the Toyo R1R setup, as they are well priced and nice tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Im using Kumho V70A (medium) on my LSS (205/45 front and 235/40 rear). Supposedly grippier than R888s and less sensitive to pressure changes.

What I can say is they are a wonderfully progressive tyre. Never has the car felt nervous or twitchy on them (thats with 300 HP). When they do break away, its very gentle and predictable.

Also no very noisy for an R comp. In fact on the street it behaves very much like an UHP street tyre.

This is what 90% of elige guys run on their cars in Australia. Not sure why they aren't a big thing stateside?

·
Less is Better
2,882 Posts
Based on A LOT of recent autocross data...Dunlop Direzza ZIIs.

However, if you wanted to wait a little bit (end of the month) supposedly the new Hankook RS3 Version 2s are supposed to be pretty nice. But the Direzzas are our club favorites right now...other than the Toyo R1R setup, as they are well priced and nice tires.
There are reports that the 205/50 rubs in front.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I am running a 205/50 in the front in the original star specs...and if you are SERIOUSLY pushing the front, then it will rub a little...but I don't have enough rub to care.

Truthfully...I plan on purchasing a 225/45 but I just looked on their site, and they are sold out of the size. It was the PERFECT size for that width on a 16 wheel compared to OEM. :wallbang:

·
Less is Better
2,882 Posts
I am running a 205/50 in the front in the original star specs...and if you are SERIOUSLY pushing the front, then it will rub a little...but I don't have enough rub to care.

Truthfully...I plan on purchasing a 225/45 but I just looked on their site, and they are sold out of the size. It was the PERFECT size for that width on a 16 wheel compared to OEM. :wallbang:
I'm more concerned about rubbing while hitting bumps and such on the street.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'm more concerned about rubbing while hitting bumps and such on the street.
Only if your car is serious lowered will it rub.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts