The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings tire experts,

I have scoured the forum for tire selections, but have only found such an overabundance of information about things that I do not quite understand.

I have stock suspension and am upgrading to LSS wheels to cut down on understeer. I daily drive my elise (need some wet traction). I do not want to spend $1200 for the stock A048s. Prefer the ~$500/set price range, like tires that I can have fun with, slightly less predictable traction is better than getting around a corner 1 millisecond faster.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The Toyo Proxes R1R have very good wet traction, but will set you back about 650 for a set.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, my primary method for looking at tires is tirerack. There aren't many options for the lss sizes. If you could include precise sizes that would work with the wheels, I would have a better understanding of what I should purchase.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I really like my continental DWS. Great in rain and cold and frankly, I don't drive fast enough to notice any degradation in dry traction. I am sure there is some, I just can't tell. Safety is more important to me than absolute cornering grip.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I really like my continental DWS. Great in rain and cold and frankly, I don't drive fast enough to notice any degradation in dry traction. I am sure there is some, I just can't tell. Safety is more important to me than absolute cornering grip.
I'm selling a set in this size in the marketplace. They are a good daily driving tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2014 Lotus Evora S
106 Posts
I'm running R1Rs with 245-40-17 rears and 205-45-16 fronts. No rubs, and they look and drive great. Instructions say not to expose them to temperatures below 15 degrees or they may crack, so not for a daily driver anywhere north....

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I'm running R1Rs with 245-40-17 rears and 205-45-16 fronts. No rubs, and they look and drive great. Instructions say not to expose them to temperatures below 15 degrees or they may crack, so not for a daily driver anywhere north....
Same size R1R's on my car. Love them. Predictable on the track and GREAT in the wet. Will be purchasing new pair in Spring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same size R1R's on my car. Love them. Predictable on the track and GREAT in the wet. Will be purchasing new pair in Spring.

Which wheels are you running on the fronts, I have a 2008 Elise SC with the sport pack, my stock wheels are 6.5j up front and 7.5j in the rear. Are your wheels 7j and 8j respectively?

I would like to go to the R1Rs, but they don't make them in 195/50/16

·
Registered
94 Posts
Same situation. Big improvement in wet over Yokohama and huge improvement in dry over Kuhmo. I choose the size after reading how many others here had done that.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I am running Advan Ao48s on my 05 Elise with LSS wheels. Yoko 255/45R17 90W LTS ADVAN AO48 rears and Yoko 195/50R16 84W LTS ADVAN AO48 fronts. I know changing brands sometimes changes tire dimensions. I want to go to R888s all the way around. Can I keep the same size without having to worry about rubbing?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock size is 195/225, so you guys who went for the toyo r1r's,

Why did you choose 205/245 rather than 205/235 and keep the stock difference between front and back tires. Toyo makes a 235 and a 245.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Lotus Evora S
106 Posts
Mine are the 205, 245 and I went with this size after much reading in the forum and because the 245-40 is a much closer match in overall height than the 235-40

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I run Continental DWS and used them on my first track day.

I had a huge advantage the last heat when it began to rain and everyone on slicks were losing confidence.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The stock size is 195/225, so you guys who went for the toyo r1r's,

Why did you choose 205/245 rather than 205/235 and keep the stock difference between front and back tires. Toyo makes a 235 and a 245.
I have the 205s (205/45) on the front on the 5.5" (base) wheels and the 235/40s on the rear. I went with the 235 over the 245 as I'd heard a rumor they have the soft compound all the way down to the carcass and thus will last longer as I'm autocrossing them frequently.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update: got the R1R's mounted and could immediately tell a (bad) difference in handling around town. There is more play in the steering wheel than before and it feels floaty; like I glide from lane to lane, rather than the quick dart I have become accustomed to from the OEM wheels and Yoko AD07 tires.

I was pretty disappointed and took the LSS wheels off my car to replace with the stock ones I had before. I also put the LSS wheel/tire selection up for sale in another thread.

However, I know that the LSS wheels are an inch wider, but after further research; my new tires are 205/45/16 in the front (from the 175/50/16 stock size). Thats only a 0.19 in increase in width! I just can't believe that my steering has gone from a direct source to the road to all floaty and cloudlike from a 0.19" change.

Do I just need to give the tires a hundred miles to break in? (I took them off immediately in order to be able to sell). Is my touring suspension not going to be any good with the LSS wheels? Do I need to let some air out of the tires? The more I research into tires, the more I realize my own ignorance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts