The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know or have a clue how fast the LSS tires tread will be worn out compared to the stock config. tires? by this i mean, how long would the LSS tires last before i have to change it compare to the original. i believe we can only order the LSS tires from lotus so it will be a hassal...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Advan A048 is very common in Asia countries like Japan and Hong Kong. I don't think you need to order them from Lotus. They should last about 8000 street miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we will be getting the A048R tires...i'm not sure if the A048 tires are different from the A048R...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Same. The ones for the Elise just use the 'LTS' compound.

They do have a treadwear rating of 50 I think, so I doubt you'll do more than 5 to 7000 miles on the road with them before they are worn out.

For purely road use I would switch to 'regular' tires in the same sizes. Just try to keep away from real 'long life' tires with 400+ treadwear ratings as they have such hard compounds that it will be like driving on ice.

You should be able to get the A048R's from any Yokohama motorsport dealer. Not cheap though :(

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how does the tread for the a048r compare to the tire without LSS? around how many miles will the stock config tire last? i'm just trying to estimate how frequently i will have to spend money on new tire if i opt for the LSS...thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
dwei42 said:
how does the tread for the a048r compare to the tire without LSS? around how many miles will the stock config tire last? i'm just trying to estimate how frequently i will have to spend money on new tire if i opt for the LSS...thanks.
Stock tire lifespan depends quite a bit on the amount of 'fun' you're having (esp. the rear :) ), but it's not uncommon to see around 15 to 20k miles if you take it easy.

Fronts usually last longer than that.

Not sure you would want to mount the standard front tires (175/55) on the 6.5J front wheels of an LSS setup though (wheel perhaps a bit too wide for the tire)

For road use many people in Europe use the Toyo Proxes T-1S. It has it's problems (sidewalls are quite soft making it a little more 'wobbly'), but they work very well in wet weather and at the price they are hard to beat for road use.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It will depend heavily on how "sporting" you drive, people on the UK Lotus 7 website report 5 - 10,000 miles on R compound tires on their 7s, cars weighing between 1000 and 1200 pounds. I am running R compound tires on my 7 and other don't really see much wear at a 1000 miles, but again the car weighs 1250 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts