The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More rumor and speculation....

reportedly the stock suspension setup is targeted by Lotus at 1.0g on a skid pad.

Question: do any other production cars even come close?

for comparison, R+T reportedly 'borrowed' and Elise and it set the slalom record. Apparently this was done unbenownst to the Lotus rep who loaned them the car.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=221

Even more amazing, the LSS target is 1.2g. Yes...1.2g

But that's not a 20% improvement. the forces increase as velocity squared. I pulled the following from an online 'physics of racing' article:
for a 50 ft radius, the max velocities are
at 0.75 g = 23.6 mph
at 1.0 g= 27.3 mph
(at 1.2g~ 29.9 mph)...about 9% increase
at 1.25g = 30.5
see:
www.miata.net/sport/physics/04-no-centrifugal.htm

so there you go. A car with the 'stock' suspension will leave a wake of bling-bling parts in your rear-view mirror. with the LSS you may not see the wreck occur.

Yes, Lotus's heritage will live well in the Elise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most of the differences in lateral g's between the standard suspension and the LSS will be due to the tires.

Alex

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
achiu said:
Most of the differences in lateral g's between the standard suspension and the LSS will be due to the tires.

Alex
And the rest will be because of the increased contact patch afforded by the stiffer suspension.

Wait... tires and suspension make up the LSS.... so... umm... :p

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Steve, you're such a genius. I think what Alex was trying to say is that almost all of the difference in cornering acceleration can be accounted for by the difference between the tires.

Sports cars generally test out at 0.9g on the stock street tires. The Miata included. I've measured mine at 1.1g on competition tires similar to the Yokohama A048s. See? 0.2g difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts