The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to replace a front LSS wheel I curbed, so trying to figure out if there is a way to tell which finish I have on my 6.5"x16" 2005 Elise sport pack wheels.

I've read through several threads about the silver wheel finishes and as near as I can tell it seems like very early 2005 Elises had an anodized finish, which mine do not seem to be, but then then there are at least two silver painted finishes, and possibly more. I see references to a high polish finish, a more dull finish, and possibly a clear coat finish but maybe that is the dull finish. I'm not sure? Does anyone know if there are actually only three? Or how to tell which painted finish one might have?

There are two sets of barely legible stamps on the back of the rim of the wheel, but googling those didn't go anywhere or match any of the three part numbers I found for front 6.5" silver LSS wheels.
I think this is Stamp1:
Y02- 66531BL
16x6.5 631H2

and stamp2:
PS065058
BN 213

Part numbers I've found:
anodized A121G0013H
painted A117G0124H
high polish A120G0032H

It's almost easier to buy a whole set that match LOL

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Pic might help...?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The Lotus Service Parts List shows (4) variations of the LSS, Seven, Split Spoke, Forged Wheel:

HP Silver (High Polish?)
Black
Anodised
Silver

The Anodised and Silver are hard to tell apart but the Silver appear to be a little brighter...

IMG_1152.jpg

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If it can be chipped, it is not anodized.

Anodizing is an acid/dye/electrolysis process.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
there is no mistaking the anodized finish for a painted finish if you see it in person, so if you don't believe you have anodized then you don't. The anodized wheel has no paint on it so you can see machining marks on the spokes and rim. The painted ones were very different in person than anodized, so this now comes down to if you have the dull silver or the high polish silver. I have never seen the high polish in person so can't help you there, but the "dull" silver isn't truly dull, it's just not as shiny as anodized, and you can tell it's painted, there is no doubt about it.

·
Administrator
4,514 Posts
The painted one feels smooth and looks deep due to the three part paint, compared to aluminum finish.

·
Premium Member
12,090 Posts
I learned from a favorite supplier (carcareonline.com; Car Care Specialties) the easy way to determine the answer.

If the wheel tastes metallic when you lick it: anodized.

If it doesn't: painted.

Store owner and I were discussing this (in article he wrote for Roundel. I found his advice useful but funny.

Have you tried it?
No. I'm waiting for the same night I fertilize the lawn.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just when I am finally on top of the idea that there actually 6" versus 6.5" wide LSS front wheels..and now you throw at me there are 3 "types" of Silver? Sheesh
"You're killing me, Smalls!"

@atmh .. wonder if yours are anodized.. :unsure:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't tried licking it, yet, for now I'm going to take my chances. It sounds like there are definitely only three silver finishes thanks for clearing that up everyone! Since there's no taste test to distinguish between the painted finishes maybe a couple pictures will help. They don't seem polished, especially when dirty, but maybe someone who has seen both can confirm these are the non high polish silver painted?

·
Registered
'08 Exige S240
173 Posts
If it can be chipped, it is not anodized.

Anodizing is an acid/dye/electrolysis process.
I curbed my anodized TE37s - one could easily mistake those marks as "chipped". Of course there is no way to repair an anodized wheel, even Rays says if your wheel is anodized you're SOL, it can never be fixed... paint it ;)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You ought to be able to tell by closely inspecting the curb rash areas for any paint, or not, at the edges... Zooming in on photos doesn't appear to show any paint chips. My "guess" would be that one is Anodized. The sidewall damage should be worrisome...

·
Administrator
4,514 Posts
I learned from a favorite supplier (carcareonline.com; Car Care Specialties) the easy way to determine the answer.

If the wheel tastes metallic when you lick it: anodized.

If it doesn't: painted.

Store owner and I were discussing this (in article he wrote for Roundel. I found his advice useful but funny.

Have you tried it?
No. I'm waiting for the same night I fertilize the lawn.
"Licking rims " will forever in my mind supersede "Note to New Elise and Exige Owners" lol Gil....Richard

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll lick em if I have to but pretty sure since the finish is smooth to the touch that they are painted. I saw a few posts indicating that the high polish wheels came into play after 2005, that and the fact that these don't look that polished makes me think they are the painted silver ones. I took the wheel to a couple different wheel repair shops, they both insisted the wheels were straight, but both said they could not match the silver finish exactly.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
As others have said, there are only 3 finishes.

Yours look like the anodized wheels looked when they were new, very flat in appearance, but are probably the silver painted. As others have said, look for machine marks for confirmation of which.

The standard silver paint fades bad and can look anodized.

The high-power silver is a tri-coat finish, meaning the wheel is painted black, then gunmetal metallic, then silver on top of that, which makes the edges and shadows appear darker and more contrasty. Beautiful finish, and looks nothing like yours. See enclosed pic for what HPS looks like.

The other option is that you may have refinished wheels.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a good breakdown, and it definitely sounds like I have the regular silver painted wheels.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
46 Posts
Just when I am finally on top of the idea that there actually 6" versus 6.5" wide LSS front wheels..and now you throw at me there are 3 "types" of Silver? Sheesh
"You're killing me, Smalls!"

@atmh .. wonder if yours are anodized.. :unsure:
@6TVRs+ mine are definitely painted. Some of the paint is chipping/flaking off of some of the wheels. Was actually thinking of getting them refinished at some point. I had a local shop do some motorcycle forks a while back, and for the money the results were pretty good. Those were bead blasted and clear coated, which was a pretty nice result for a silver/metallic look.

For everyone else's reference - my car is a fairly early 2005. Manufacturing date of 11/2014 I believe.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
46 Posts
You ought to be able to tell by closely inspecting the curb rash areas for any paint, or not, at the edges... Zooming in on photos doesn't appear to show any paint chips. My "guess" would be that one is Anodized. The sidewall damage should be worrisome...
Assuming I'm looking at the same pic (pic of the damaged wheel) a small scuff on the side of a tire, or even a shallow cut is nothing to worry about. Last year I hit a pothole HARD, bent the rim, cut the sidewall of the tire, and brought it to a tire ship and they said "that's nothin', bro" and it looked worse than what I see in the pic above. As far as I know, sidewalls on tires bulge when they get damaged (the chords break, and that leads to bulging). If there's any bulging in sidewalls then the tire needs to be replaced.

Having said that, I probably would have replaced that tire before taking it to the track/autocross. I think tracks will turn you away for sidewall damage, as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts