Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Free economy, people can do whatever they want

Votes: 47 67.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed more than one LotusTalk member buying parts from the parts market, only to resell them for a higher price afterwards.

I understand we live in a capitalism based economy, but being such a small forum, I would assume that people wouldn't try to gouge each other out of deals just to make a buck.

What are your thoughts?

·
Terry
2,215 Posts
it sucks and i totally feel you. LT should have seller/buyer rating system like other forums.
it's funny how sometimes people price used items higher than the BNIB oem price from dealerships lol.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Explain what you mean by 'black market.' If you mean reselling stolen property, I would agree. If someone is reselling a legally obtained part at market, regardless of what was paid, not so much.

Would you suggest that you would sell ALL your parts, assembled into a complete car, for less than its value to help out someone would could not otherwise afford a Lotus?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
What exactly is this "black market" you speak of? That term usually intones something obtained illegally or by avoiding taxation, regulation, etc.

True, I wish often that I could find parts before they fall into the hands of people who mark them up for another sale, but I can't find anything immoral or illegal about it. That's how the used parts market has always worked.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modified my post, black market was just a term for the used classifieds from another forum I go to.

All I'm saying is that some people will post a part 'cheaper' than normal, to help out other forum members. Other people will buy these parts, then resell it at 'market' price.

·
Krypton Green Elise
53 Posts
It can be frustrating but rewarding depending which side of the transaction you are on. This is an integral aspect of our market and economy IMO. But I understand your frustration completely.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Keep in mind that some of these resellers are adding value or efficiency by having parts closer to where they're wanted, shipping more quickly, communicating more effectively, holding parts until they're wanted, or by unbundling a set of parts.

I haven't sold on LT, but on other forums I usually look through people's post history before negotiating. For people who seem like resellers I'll go out of my way to find the top of market price.

The only thing I think is a bit scammy is exploitation of information inequity, for example buying mislabeled parts expressly to resell them rather than informing the seller that they don't know what they have or telling a totally fudged story to get a low-priced deal on parts.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
To the OP, very few people make enough money to be charitable, and fewer still can psychologically avoid making a buck. It's human nature.and it's what makes people miserable.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
it's funny how sometimes people price used items higher than the BNIB oem price from dealerships lol.
I've yet to figure that one out. I actually ordered rear claim letters from my dealer, then saw what a set sold for here. I then listed and sold my letters for almost double what I paid, then went and ordered another set.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i just sold a mintish factory hardtop package in a rare color for $1300 shipped . (thanks to Oliver btw for helping me out with shipping above and beyond the $1100 price i was asking.)
I could have sat on that thing and gotten $1800 or more within a year. I knew one of us needed it. That said - this is America, and making money is pretty much what we do here. So, while it may appear distasteful - it's ok to resell at what the market will pay.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
To the OP, very few people make enough money to be charitable, and fewer still can psychologically avoid making a buck. It's human nature.and it's what makes people miserable.
It's not human nature, It's how we have been raised, trained, and socialized.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The market pays what the market pays. It's not like we are buying Cuban cigars

For me, it's about availability or timing. For example, I needed an interior part for a custom project I'm doing. Wound up probably spending $15 more than Lotus would charge. However, Lotus is 'back order, availability unknown'. Sorry,I want the part is to keep me busy with a project and have it done when the season is ready. Willing to pay a bit more for that.

Now, who is first to give me $400 for the sun visors sitting on my desk?

·
Illegal Alien
5,306 Posts
It’s a free market and that’s how I voted; that said a free market works best with information sharing. I miss having a buyer/seller rating on this forum.

I also believe in trying to help out fellow Lotus owners whether that is information sharing or selling something I truly don't need at a reasonable price. But to me that is a individual philosophy that should not be forced.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
If you're going to resell at least be discreet and wait a little while to do it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I think its fine. The seller agreed to sell it for less then it was worth. thats on him, not the buyer. its not about gauging people. its about an aware buyer finding a seller at the right price.

I sold a ton of europa parts last winter. i made almost $15,000 off the parts. I let the buyer decide what the part was worth, then agreed or did not. it worked well for me. i only accepted offers i thought were fair. and the buyer only offered what they were willing to pay. sometimes i received offers that were much higher then id have expected. other times, i knew i sold under market value.

Day one i listed the original jack, bag and bar for sale. in 2 hours i received 10 emails about it with prices up to 300$ this was a worn old rusty jack... i sold it for $250. a week later my jack was on ebay and sold for 800$. i thought to my self, good for him. I was happy with the 350 i got for it. i didnt feel ripped off.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I can't even figure out what this post's about. Somebody buying a part to resell later? Guilty here. I've bought maybe 10 items over the years that I didn't want to keep long term, went in another direction, used for a bit and turned around, or realized I didn't want in the first place. Typically I sold them at a small loss to me, offering them for what I paid for it, and picked up the shipping. But I have also accumulated several sets of very desireable, rare Lotus wheels that I know I could resell and make a tidy profit on. Problem is, I use them all. And i have a pair of Lotus Sport seats I bought from Lotus before a massive price hike. Is it OK for me to sell them for more than I paid for them?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
yes it is.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just because we all share a common interest in a car doesn't make us best buds and therefore deserving of a bro deal. Now, if I knew someone personally on here and had struck up a friendship, then that would be different and I would be more likely to give them a deal.

Andy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts