The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
How many inches per second is the valve/piston moving during, say, a slalom? I've never had a feel for that.

Sharp bump, probably pretty quickly. Big input? Any ideas?

Iain

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I would try to put more of a "Nose" on the shock and try more of a digressive rate for the rest. This should give you better control for Auto-X and not make the street ride so harsh. Also, most velocities that you are going to be interested in tuning is in the 1-2 in/sec range. Anything above that are bumps in the road.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed - they could use a lot of tweaking to make them useful for auto-x. BWR has me covered, as far as shocks go.

Maybe I should have explained better... the plots are just for reference. I wanted some surrogate shocks to test my dyno setup before dynoing a set of LOV Ohlins. If my setup was configured incorrectly, I'd rather break a set of my Bilsteins than someone else's Ohlins.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many inches per second is the valve/piston moving during, say, a slalom? I've never had a feel for that.

Sharp bump, probably pretty quickly. Big input? Any ideas?

Iain
Iain, I haven't collected data... so, everything I've read is second hand (at best). Dennis Grant has some data for 3 auto-x sites. He doesn't break it down into slaloms, sweepers or other features.

Far North Racing - Autocross Secrets

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks, will check DG's stuff out. Dyno graphs are neat, but I guess it depends on what one is after, and do I care about 9"/sec? Does it ever move that fast, outside the context of the Fast and the Furious?

I just don't know. Seems to me that 2-4"/sec is the important range, but that's sheer speculation.

Iain

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take it this is s LSS Bilstein non-adjustable 'sport' dampers, not the Bilstien single adjustable 'track pack' dampers?
Correct. I think Jake used LTS because the factory manual calls the track pack the Super Sport suspension.
Actually, these are the base dampers that come with cars that have the 5.5" wide front wheels.

As Tom mentioned, the wording in the Lotus service documentation is a bit contradictory to the nomenclature used on LT.

For this discussion:
LTS = base, 5.5" wheels
LSS = sport, 6.5" wheels
Track = track pack, single-adjustable Bilsteins

I'll likely have a set of LSS dampers to test this summer. My car was a base model, hence the LTS damper plots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts