The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I will pick up my 1st Esprit next week, a '93 in Conn. I've owned several Loti. But I am very excited and somewhat nervious about this one. I live in MD an plan to road trip it home. I wanted some suggestions for lubrication. I have to use a Lotus oil filter due to some draining function. Could someone explain? Also what engine and gearbox oil should be used? Is the best brake fluid Girling or newer Lotus use something else. Thanks

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
With all the "drive home" nightmare stories you read about, I always pay to have a used car (especially one 20+ years old) delivered to my house when buying it.

Doing that now with a 1998. It gets real expensive and sad to tow a new to you car unexpectedly from the side of the road to the rest of the way home when you are far away.

Either hire a transport or go get it with a trailer from Uhaul.

People selling cars want to minimize every penny they spend on repairs and maintenance starting months before they sell their car. And with Esprits, they usually stop driving it many months before they sell it. Why risk it?

I'm sure a few searches here or on The Lotus Forum or Esprit Fact File will give you better answers on lubricants.

Sent from one of my 4 iPads

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would call R & S Motorsports and try to plan a stop there for him to go over the car on your way back home. Driving an old, unfamiliar car on such a long drive is a very ballsy thing to attempt. If you break down and have to be towed it will cost you a whole lot more than a planned transport. And that is just the towing! You still have to get the car repaired and maybe it got more damaged from the attempt. At least join Lotus LMTD and get the roster of owners and who you can call for help along the way. And of course your 3A card and cell phone.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If it's the car I'm thinking of it has just had a timing belt service from Ralph and he has gone through the car completely.

Granted with a car of this age anything can happen but this is a well sorted Esprit, the previous owner did whatever the car needed to keep it correct and in top running order.

To answer your question about the oil filter, the filter is mounted horizontally and the filters need an 'anti drain back valve' to keep oil in the filter and prevent it from draining back to the sump. This basically keeps the filter primed with oil for restarts.

At the price your getting this car for is a steal.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Also what engine and gearbox oil should be used?
I have no experience with Esprits but standard Redline 10W40 has worked well for me.
And their gear oil is also worth a shot. I am using the light weight shockproof. They also have a standard gear oil.
Both the gear oils come in a light weight and a heavy weight...
NFI

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Drive it home - if you did your homework before buying then there should be nothing to fear. Drive it home and have fun. Sounds like you are getting a good car.... fear it NOT!

As for lubricants: Any high-end oil will do. Mobil 1, Valvoline VR1 racing oil, or whatever ya like. Just be sure to use the proper viscosity. The turbo cars like the thick stuff. Mobil 1 15/50 comes to mind or the Valvoline 20/50 racing oil are good choices.

Castrol LMA brake fluid is great for the brake and clutch hydraulics.

For the record: I drove my '87 Turbo home from New Hampshire to the Rochester, NY area. Like 400 miles. Drove through Vermont on the way home and had a ball. It was a great way to start the relationship with the car. We got to know each other. Id do it again in a minute. Just buy a good car and you are good. :clap:

·
Registered
859 Posts
as someones esle pointed out, you need an oil filter with the ant-drain back valve. There are plenty of those out there besides the OEM Lotus filters. Personally, I like WIX (or Napa Gold) filters on all my vehicles. Plus, they are easy to come by.

as far as oil goes, lotus recommends a 60weight oil, but those are hard to find in the US. I believe the "spec" castrol oil is available at BMW dealers. It is the same as used in BMW's M cars. BMW gets a special name for the oil though, but I've read that it is the same stuff.

For the tranny, I used Redline MT90. It is great stuff; I came across it with my Twin Turbo G35. I found that is was considered a "miracle" oil for the Nissan manual trannies. Several others on here recommend it, and so does JAE.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
as someones esle pointed out, you need an oil filter with the ant-drain back valve. There are plenty of those out there besides the OEM Lotus filters. Personally, I like WIX (or Napa Gold) filters on all my vehicles. Plus, they are easy to come by.

as far as oil goes, lotus recommends a 60weight oil, but those are hard to find in the US. I believe the "spec" castrol oil is available at BMW dealers. It is the same as used in BMW's M cars. BMW gets a special name for the oil though, but I've read that it is the same stuff.

For the tranny, I used Redline MT90. It is great stuff; I came across it with my Twin Turbo G35. I found that is was considered a "miracle" oil for the Nissan manual trannies. Several others on here recommend it, and so does JAE.
Just as a suggestion - the K&N HP-1002 oil filter fits my '87 HC Esprit and is a great filter for the car. It might fit the 1993 too. Its priced right, has the drain-back thingie, and best of all.... its a little shorter & has a 1" nut on the back so there is clearance to get the thing off without taking the engine out of the car. rotfl

It is hard to find 60W oil. You'll be fine with 15/50 or 20/50. I would use anything lighter. 10/40 just aint quite right, IMO.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The OEM Lotus filter is both anti drainback and anti siphoning.

Crosland make the filter for Lotus, they are available from a few places for less than the Lotus A907E6000W filter If you want to save a few $.

The oil filter thing normally starts a flame war, I have only used the OEM Lotus filter on my car for the last 11 years and it still has excellent oil pressure and has never blown up.

Dunno about the other makes, but why gamble with an engine that will cost big $ to replace?

·
Registered
859 Posts
good to know about the K&N filter.

MY car came with a huge Amsoil filter. That mofo was on super tight too. I had to buy (another) oil filter wrench to get it off. it was so tight, the filter wrench had to dig in and started to crush the filter just to get it loose. plus, the filter was so long, it barely cleared the starter.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,403 Posts
^^^ You don't know what a tight oil filter is, until you have to remove the starter to get a good grip on it... -eek-

I've used Wix filters on my Esprit for the past 16 years with no negative results. :clap:

+++++++++

If what Robert says is true and you bought a car that RS Motorsports has serviced, he will tell you how "safe" it would be to drive from CT to MD. (Which is not a problem if all service is up to date). :cool:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
good to know about the K&N filter.

MY car came with a huge Amsoil filter. That mofo was on super tight too. I had to buy (another) oil filter wrench to get it off. it was so tight, the filter wrench had to dig in and started to crush the filter just to get it loose. plus, the filter was so long, it barely cleared the starter.
Yeah, get one. I buy mine through Summt Racing, of all places. Turns out this filter also fits some big lawnmowers & tractors. How COOL is that? rotfl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts