The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving into the sun on old Peoria road took a S curve and did a 720 ended up facing opposite direction in my own lane....... Had Greenlotuswife with me and it happened so damn fast.... Going to try to analyze this later...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Toe link failure?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Usually "lucky to be alive" goes with something that causes very serious life threatening injuries, not ****ting your pants and sucking seat cushion.

·
Registered
557 Posts
A 720 would have you facing the same direction. It was either a 540 or a 900.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing ok...really interested in knowing what caused you to spin.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
same happened to me as a passenger in a MB 450 SL many years ago on a highway in Vermont. Scary stuff. Glad you guys are ok.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok this is what I think happened. This S curve was like a right left jig jog. I went in the right turn fine then felt the tires just slip away immediately. I saw a white sandy dust over the black top on that corner but it was way to late. I let off the gas and I didn't think I braked but to be honest I don't remember now. I turned the wheel left as if to take the corner and the back end came around and just kept going. We went counter clockwise. I countered by steering right some I think but i thought it was helping some but the car just overpowered my attempt a d did what it wanted with the momentum I had. I could not believe what was happening in the moment but I don't recall panicking it just unfolded and I reacted instinctively but at no point did I feel I was in control.

The car 540'd not 720'd. The curve was marked at 15 mph but I took 3-4?previous turns at about the same speed so I didn't feel I was pushing it. I think it was the sand or dirt on the dry pavement that let the car get away from me. I heard the loud skidding sound of the rubber across the road and the squeal sound you hear before impact.

I think I went in down shifting to 4th at about 60ish mph and I was planning on braking a little as I was going to shift down into 3rd but I never got there. The lotus just went and I was along for the ride. After the spin out was done I turned it back right and 10 seconds later two oncoming cars passed.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Based on your recap, it seems like you shouldn't have lifted before going into the second turn. Depending on how fast you were going and the angle of the turn, you may have entered a snap oversteer situation. Hard to say though. I know it's hard to remember specifics because you tend to get caught up in the moment.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Glad to hear the OP is alright and no one was hurt :up::up:

For my (and others' education) when driving our cars *hot* into a curve, isn't it usually a "bad bad" thing to lift off the throttle mid-turn and/or shift mid-turn?

Doesn't that shift and/or braking just lift traction from the back tires and shift it to the front of the car thereby increasing the chances that the back of the car will get away from you?

I thought with these cars if you go into a turn hot, you're better off trying to remain even on the throttle at best and worst just roll through it as best as possible rather than shifting and/or braking. If I'm wrong though I'd love to know what the "right" thing to do is in that kind of situation. Sounds like a nightmare, glad everyone's OK.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I think chris2pher hit the nail on the head about snap oversteer.
+1

Did the same thing on an autocross track in a slalom. First day out, was turning late, back end slipped alittle, my instincts told me to lift, not sure if I hit the brakes, but we did two full rotations. So yeah, snap oversteer for sure.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Madison how much damage was done to your car? Glad to hear your OK! I wouldn't care if I wrecked/totalled mine as long as I was fine! If your in Peoria just text/call me so we can take our cars out!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow that's crazy. glad y'all & car are ok.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No damage at all, just a little freaked out. My back end glided about 1/2 car length onto the side of the road into some grass.

I'm beginning to wonder if my previous turns on that road were different. Or that this one was at a higher speed and I just didn't feel/see it until I was 1/2 way into the turn. I reacted poorly by trying to slow down by letting off the gas. I felt pretty damn stupid and was mad at myself for letting that happen. I must have apologized to my wife like 10 times.

Now I'm going to probably under drive my car with paranoia for a while. :-(

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i try and scrub speed before the curve, and maintenance throttle through, accelerate out. Sand would ruin all those plans.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Around here my comfortable curve speed on the street is 2x the posted speed. Certainly not 3x or 4x. On a track I certainly can do a lot faster, but that's under more predictable conditions and I'm not willing to attempt it on the street.

I believe you experienced snap oversteer as might be expected with the control inputs and conditions you describe. I'm very glad you and your car weren't hurt.

xtn

1 - 20 of 56 Posts