The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's here somewhere but a quick search didn't turn it up. What do I torque my lug nuts to? Is there a different tightness for "hot" and "cold"?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
77 foot pounds

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
77ft or 105nm hot or cold

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Probably not a good idea to torque them when they are hot (Coming off the track hot that is).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Or if you did, check the torque later.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Probably not a good idea to torque them when they are hot (Coming off the track hot that is).
+1,
torque them BEFORE you go out for a session on the track(cold), not when you get back in(hot).
when things are hot, they expand.
if torqued when hot, when they cool down they will contract from the loss of heat, and now end up torqued more than you want them to be.
at least thats how i understand it.

BTW, I check my lugs before every session out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
...and don't forget to loosen off a little first .....then re-tighten. I believe the reason behind this is to eliminate potential misreading of your torque wrench due to previous over-tightening or surface to surface "adhesion" ..... I'm sure some techno-wiz will correct me if I'm wrong......:shrug:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...and don't forget to loosen off a little first .....then re-tighten. I believe the reason behind this is to eliminate potential misreading of your torque wrench due to previous over-tightening or surface to surface "adhesion" ..... I'm sure some techno-wiz will correct me if I'm wrong......:shrug:
No, that's exactly correct. I remember that from my old motocross racing days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts