The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a build date, I popped off a message to Classic Carriers regarding a model for their elise. I've seen their MR2 luggage rack, and thought it was a nice product. Anyway, this is the response I got back:

Christopher, We are indeed worrking on the Lotus Elise Carrier, which we
hope to market before December.

We will send you a mail , as soon as it is ready.

Cordially, Erik van Veenen
I'll definitely be getting one (assuming it is like the MR2 one in that it doesn't take too long to take on and off), and I'll post a review once it comes in and I've tried it out.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think I'd be worried about putting very much weight on the rack, assume it mounts to the rear clam but would be concerned about flex and stress cracking.
Chris

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually they mount to the decklid. I'm not sure about 4 tires, but I'm hoping that 2 on the rack, and two on the passengar seat would work. Yet another reason to get the lightweight SSR wheels. ;)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Usually they mount to the decklid. I'm not sure about 4 tires, but I'm hoping that 2 on the rack, and two on the passengar seat would work. Yet another reason to get the lightweight SSR wheels. <<<

I'm thinking the same thing! I don't think you can attach anything directly to the bodywork and be safe with any sort of load...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have the Classic Carriers rack on my MR2 Spyder. Very nice item. High quality. But I'm not sure I'd want to attach one to fiberglass. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
They seem to be a little pricey - 300-400 Euros. And they seem to require fairly extensive support pieces in contact with the body of the car.

However, this would be great for trips just to handle one extra suitcase. That should be enough to make it a little easier to travel. I will be interested to see what they come up with and to hear reports from anyone that buys one. I probably will want one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts