The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to locate a luggage rack for my elise. I want to go off touring europe and the luggage space is not quite well you all know !.

I have seen one from a maker in belgium but I cannot get a reply.

Any thoughts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
pack light and do laundry often - or not if you want to blend in with the natives....;)

I'd be concerned with impeding airflow out of the engine bay.

Have you tried posting this request on SELOC? There's bound to be someone who has done this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Luggage racks are ok on the S1, but Lotus didn't make one for the S2 as the clams are much thinner (and thus lighter which is good), but correspondingly less able to take the weight. Also a bit less tough if they get smacked...

·
Registered
74 Posts
You'll actually be surprised by the amount of stuff you can pack into an elise.

The trick is don't use hold-alls or baggage! They take up valuable space - pack loose or use small bags that you can tuck in all the corners of the boot.

Plus use space behind seats and the pax footwell.

Sorted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
you will be surprised at how much you can get in when you try. You can get the hood behind the seats with ease freeing up the whole of the boot, with soft bags on top of the hood bag.

If you really need a luggage rack, you could contact Kiwi Pete at seloc or mloc

www.selog.org
www.mloc.net

Hope that helps

Simon

·
Registered
803 Posts
khamai tries to fit his bags

khamai and his wife will be attending LOG and he wonders if their luggage, enough for a week, will fit in the Elise. I was concerned because I was only able to fit a single duffle bag into the trunk when I picked up my car in Southern California.

I took the car to his place so he could try out the space. There is almost enough room for two bags. It turns out the space goes a long ways above the right rear fender, under the rear deck. The left is taken by the battery. A helmet is a tight fit, only because the height of the space is similar to the height of the helmet.

Michael

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It's not a bad bit of space, the problem is that the soft top takes up most of it.

I found I could get two soft duffle bags in there with the rolled soft top.

Enough for two people if they pack lightly.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
You used to be able to fit the soft top behind the seats. Seems this is no longer the case.

Robert, how is your fitted luggage coming?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Michael,
The softop takes up probably a good third of the luggage space.

Is that the size backpack Kiyoshi was talking about carrying?? When he asked me about space I was thinking more in terms of a book bag, hell I've travelled 6 weeks in africa with less gear!!:D

Yep, no chance of the top stowing behind the seats. I think perhaps with the uninsulated top you could do it.

Chris

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Is that the size backpack Kiyoshi was talking about carrying?? When he asked me about space I was thinking more in terms of a book bag, hell I've travelled 6 weeks in africa with less gear!!:D
If it was just me... but Laura's coming - might tough finding a place to put the kitchen sink! :D

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm in for a luggage rack if it can be secured without drilling into the body of the car. It will make travelling with a wife much easier if you can place a small suitcase on top and use the trunk for miscellaneous stuff.

If not, I have a bike rack with foam pads that perhaps can be mounted onto the back and adapted to handle a suitcase. If I ever get my car, I will be experimenting.

By the way, Michael, congrats on picking up your car. Hopefully you snuck in prior to the price increase. No such luck for me, as my car is probably a couple of weeks from port.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts