The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was swaping my wheels this weekend, i got to thinking, with all this constant on/off of my race wheels to street wheels, how long can i expect the lugs and lug nuts to hold up? I only hand tighten, but i imagine they can still stretch.

Would it be too much to have them changed every year or so? The lug nuts aren't a big deal, but the lugs would be.

thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I don't know. I still have all the original lugs, and besides all the sets of tires (24? at last count), I also used to run stock class with all the tire swapping that involved.

I think basic care is a good idea. I use anti-seize on the lugs, and every year or so (or whenever a lug gets tight) I run a die down the lugs to clean up the threads. And while I don't use a torque wrench every time, I am pretty good at hitting close to proper torque with a star wrench.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I'd also worry more about the splines (of the lugs) wearing out from all the lug changes. They aren't designed to be changed frequently, if at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Replacing the lugs on a floating disk cost some significant $$, but otherwise replace studs it's too bad. Eventually you'll probably strech the lugs like I did and it's all down hill from there. But when you do need to replace, do all of them on that wheel and upgrade to a better hardware. That's what I did in the rear, and I have no problems now. The fronts are starting to get rough though.

My rears lasted about 1.5years, but I need significantly more torque on my lugs than you guys. The fronts are going on 2years of autoXing.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota
 

·
Member # 16
Joined
·
180 Posts
I'm guessing that for stock classes you have to replace them or origional parts? I couldn't go with a stronger race part (if I ever get to the point of neededing to replace things).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Chris Robertson said:
I'm guessing that for stock classes you have to replace them or origional parts? I couldn't go with a stronger race part (if I ever get to the point of neededing to replace things).
I vaguely remember that there's an allowance for "better" studs thats implicit in the allowance for longer studs to allow for any wheel to be used.

There used to be wheels with 1-1.5" thick center sections that required some LONG studs to hang onto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Yeah, what Larry sort-of said.

In stock class, the lugs are open. Want to use longer studs. No Problem. Want to replace lug bolts with lug studs. Go for it. Since studs/nuts make no difference in performance, they are open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys.

my lugs have been replaced once already, not due to being worn out, but due to my great pick of a shop, who air hammed the suckers on there so tight it stripped EVERY lug...dumbasses! but that was probably back in 93-94. I have new Gorilla lug nuts (Jan of this year) so i guess i'm good for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
mazdaspeedwest said:
As i was swaping my wheels this weekend, i got to thinking, with all this constant on/off of my race wheels to street wheels, how long can i expect the lugs and lug nuts to hold up? I only hand tighten, but i imagine they can still stretch.

I know I'm only reading this post now.

We shoulda talked more today, and Owen and I woulda told you why I co-drove with Art. Kinda long story, but it started with a lug stud breaking off the right front wheel when we changed tires after the August event.

There are other reasons why the Neon is currently out of commission, but main, overriding reason is because when Owen swapped my broken part with the good one off his car, he couldn't find a lug nut for the fifth lug and resorted to using a wheel lock.

...then he lost the key. :eek:

Kimberly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Re: Re: Lugs and Lug nuts

Kimberly said:


...then he lost the key. :eek:

Kimberly
That should be easy enough to fix. Amazing what a Dremel tool will do with the right bit... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Lugs and Lug nuts

Kimberly said:



I know I'm only reading this post now.

We shoulda talked more today, and Owen and I woulda told you why I co-drove with Art. Kinda long story, but it started with a lug stud breaking off the right front wheel when we changed tires after the August event.

There are other reasons why the Neon is currently out of commission, but main, overriding reason is because when Owen swapped my broken part with the good one off his car, he couldn't find a lug nut for the fifth lug and resorted to using a wheel lock.

...then he lost the key. :eek:

Kimberly
ahh, i see. i was dead tired and purely running on adrenelin, so i left pretty early.....thank god i took the 215 > 60 > 57 thanks to Craig, i missed the Nascar traffic.

i don't think i even asked how you did.....so how'd you do in the Art mobile?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Lugs and Lug nuts

mazdaspeedwest said:

....thank god i took the 215 > 60 > 57 thanks to Craig, i missed the Nascar traffic.
Natalie, Blake and I stoped at In-n-out for 45 min and then jumped on the 10 to the 57. Not one bit of traffic. Maybe we just got lucky and got in between the events traffic cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lugs and Lug nuts

Gunnar said:


Natalie, Blake and I stoped at In-n-out for 45 min and then jumped on the 10 to the 57. Not one bit of traffic. Maybe we just got lucky and got in between the events traffic cycle.
No one caught that the race started at 3:30pm.....Eastern Time. So, Gayle letting the event out early to avoid CART traffic wasn't much of an idea. It just meant that we got out with the traffic.

Julie and I took a tour of San Bernadino, taking surface streets and that 5 mile stretch of the 210 that crosses I-15, but managed to make much better time than Will, who took I-10. He had about a 15-20 minute head start, and he got off the freeway at Central Ave, we were 10 miles ahead on the 210 freeway (where it meets the 30 in Azusa).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lugs and Lug nuts

Originally posted by Davard

No one caught that the race started at 3:30pm.....Eastern Time. So, Gayle letting the event out early to avoid CART traffic wasn't much of an idea. It just meant that we got out with the traffic.


Except me :)

Julie and I took a tour of San Bernadino, taking surface streets and that 5 mile stretch of the 210 that crosses I-15, but managed to make much better time than Will, who took I-10. He had about a 15-20 minute head start, and he got off the freeway at Central Ave, we were 10 miles ahead on the 210 freeway (where it meets the 30 in Azusa).

Which way did you go David? I when up Palm to Baseline then caught the 30 there. I figured I would try to see if there was an on ramp there. Caught you at the end of 30. Forgot Baseline was the road I wanted.

Good news is that according to the CalTrans website, 14 miles will open this month from La Verne to Day Creek Rancho C.

This will help for CS and Norton events.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lugs and Lug nuts

bluethunder28 said:
Originally posted by Davard

Which way did you go David? I when up Palm to Baseline then caught the 30 there. I figured I would try to see if there was an on ramp there. Caught you at the end of 30. Forgot Baseline was the road I wanted.

Good news is that according to the CalTrans website, 14 miles will open this month from La Verne to Day Creek Rancho C.

This will help for CS and Norton events.


I turned right on Tippiecanoe. It ended at Baseline, which I took to Waterman. I turned up Waterman and when I got to Highland, I still couldn't see any sign of the 30, so I headed west on Highland. Eventually (after 10 or so miles), I wound up on the 210. Didn't have any maps of the area (the only map was a 10-year old CA map...not much detail :) ). Other than being really slow through Rancho C, it was a pretty good way to go. Sucked looking down at that completed 210 and knowing I couldn't use it (the 210 even has the street lights lit on it).

Sure hope the Cal Trans site is correct, but most of the signs that say (this road will be closed from xx/xx - xx/xx are usually about 18 months off).

I couldn't find anything on the CalTrans Site, but the San Bern. County site had plenty. The 14 miles will open some time this month, but construction of the 8 miles from there to the 30 (near 215) won't be done until 2006.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Quiting 3:30pm with 90+ entrants....

And doing it for a wrong reason... I can just hear it, she made a decision, I can just about guarantee somebody more informed tried to reason with her and she exploded. Now she'll smile and tell everybody it was unforeseeable mistake that we'll learn from....




I have an easy solution for the lugs issue.....

Just trash the hubs like we did in the Intrepid... New hubs came with fresh studs... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Conemangler said:
Quiting 3:30pm with 90+ entrants....
No, that was the practice. I was talking about the actual event. With the 45-55 sec course, and limited participation (although LOTS of X-runs...they were sold out by 11:00), we were done at about 3:30pm. But no fun runs, because people wanted to get done before the traffic from the CART race hit. The only people that avoided that traffic either went south or left at lunch time (which was 11:45-12:15...how would you like to have shown up to run the 4th group at 12:45 and find out that they are already running the 5th group?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
A little more lunch break would have been nice. I walked the course, then Will and I went to AM/PM for food. When we got back, they'd called workers for the first group after lunch. Those AM/PM dogs aren't that great cold. :p
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top