The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on autoblog

Track cars powered by motorcycle engines are becoming increasingly popular as the superbike mills, usually mounted amidships, provide tons of power for their small displacement and low weight. Further evidence of this truth is seen in the LusoMotors LM23, a Lotus replica powered by a one-liter Honda CBR1000 engine making about 150 horsepower. Weighing just under 900 pounds, the power-to-weight ratio of this machine would be enough to scare just about any other car you are likely to meet at the track while its light weight would surely allow for plenty of grip in the corners. The high performance of the LM23 is fitting, as the Lotus 23B design on which its based was such a giant killer that it was banned at Le Mans in the early sixties for being too fast for its small displacement.

A quick glance at the chassis shows such track-ready details as inboard-mounted coilovers and a tube frame complete with integrated roll bar. The chassis sits under composite bodywork, just like the original Lotus, though the modern interpretation adds carbon fiber to the traditional fiberglass skin. It looks like we have another Lotus replica set to join the ranks of the numerous Seven variations already sitting in our fantasy garages.

Awsome just awsome
LusoMotors LM23: 150hp, Honda CBR-powered track car - Autoblog

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
685 Posts
The assertion that the original 23 was banned from Le Mans for being too fast for its displacement is, of course, bollocks.
It was banned at scrutineering because of a minor issue over wheel studs. That it was very likely to beat the French cars in the Index of Performance had it raced is, of course, total coincindence. Anyway, Colin vowed never to go back, and he didn't.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
That does not look safe:eek:

What's the matter? That 1/8" thick layer of fiberglass between you and the car next to you doesn't give you a feeling of safety?

I never really realized that kind of same thing until one day when we were painting my friends dune buggy. Never thought about it, it felt like you were "in" something when you were riding around in it, and like this it had the roll bar hoop behind your head. Well when he grabbed the front with one hand, and I grabbed the rear with one hand- it dawned on me that we were out riding around on the street (and the fields, etc) with nothing but THAT (what seemed like about 30 lbs of body for the whole car) between us and the Excursions next to us. I guess that really didn't stop us from continuing our capers and tomfoolery in it though. lol.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Safer than a motorcycle, I like it. Whats the cost, and is there a class to run it in?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts