The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Panther here, running a twin 867, a g4 867 powerbook hung on an airport extreme network, second gen 10g iPod and to my joy still a Newton 2100, nearly 8 years later still a bitchin PDA.
Have plans to use the Twin g4 for home automation and as a digital juke box.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Set-up!:)

Well i got panther but my computer won't install it. =*(

I have a dual g4 500 and i have repaired extensions but nothing has helped.

I clicked on the intall icon and it asks me to restart i do and then nothing happens after it restarts. I also have tried restarting and holding the C button to boot from the CD rom. And have also tried to reboot from system preff.

Do you have any advice? :confused:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
What OS are you running now? Panther is an upgrade on Jaguar, it might need jaguar to build upon. I'll tell you this much. It is noticeably faster, specially on my powerbook which is the weaker of the two, my boot times are considerably shorter and apps launch quicker as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm currently running 10.2.8

and i am soon thinking about upgrading to the g5 3ghz dual's next year or if a g5 powerbook comes out then to that.

My friend has a 17inch powerbook and its amazing she can take it anywhere and has the power to run all the aps.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I just upgraded my 17" iMac to Panther, and had a little trouble. I've been having problems, confined to a particular user only, where attempts to read some folders on the hard drive, and most CDs, will result in Finder crashing/restarting. Got around that by copying to a new user, but then when I went to install Panther, same problem...and thus, I couldn't launch the install app (didn't try restart/C). Switched user again (to root), install program ran and all was fine (did an archive-install)...you might want to try that.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Elise affecianados, Mac users, I'm starting to think that MacAddicts have a good taste gene! I'm going to hang my iPod in the liz as a digital juke box, I'm starting to convert everyting from MP3 to AAC.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Do you guys have problems viewing AVI with QT? For instance, I can not watch the elise clip goig backwards through the gate (the one posted on the sticky post) QT gives me an error that the software does not have the components for this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes, some PC videos do not play on the Mac. Try two programs, VLC or mplayer OS X as alternatives to QT. They will sometimes play videos that QT will not (sometimes the sound does not work).

I know I have seen the spin video, but maybe only on a PC as I just checked and neither of these players were successful with the video in question.

If anyone finds a player/codec that allows this video to play, please tell us.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ironically, I have to use Quicktime to watch the spin video on my PC.

And to stay on topic, my other computer is a Cube running 10.1. Thinking about upgrading to Jaguar, but I'm still on the fence. Kind of like where I am with my Elise deposit.

Let's see... Mac, Quicktime, Jaguar, spin video, Elise. Yep, I think I touched on everything. :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
babak said:
Do you guys have problems viewing AVI with QT? For instance, I can not watch the elise clip goig backwards through the gate (the one posted on the sticky post) QT gives me an error that the software does not have the components for this. Any ideas?
Problem solved, OSX version of windows media player on MSoft site.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
No Mac here, but I have a WinXP workstation and a Linux development server. I've heard that OSX is great for Java developers AND graphics developers.... and since I do a little of both, I've been considering a Mac recently. Unfortunately, I'm seemingly perpetually bound to Microsoft due to software limitations and price comparisons.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I use a Mac for my music...

Currently running a Dual 1GHz PowerMac G4. Running on Jaguar right now and I unfortunately still have to keep OS9 on there because of some apps that *still* haven't been brought to the X world... I haven't had a chance to mess with my copy of Panther yet.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
babak said:
I'm starting to convert everyting from MP3 to AAC.
FYI, you're going to degrade the sound quality of your music library by doing that...

You're converting from one lossy format to another.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
RacingDynamcs said:
i'm currently running 10.2.8

and i am soon thinking about upgrading to the g5 3ghz dual's next year or if a g5 powerbook comes out then to that.

My friend has a 17inch powerbook and its amazing she can take it anywhere and has the power to run all the aps.
I'm also on the verge of buying a Dual G5 machine... and I'm probably ordering a new G4 iBook this week.

I never got into the 17 inch PowerBook...
I just can't see putting that gigantic thing on my lap or in front of me on a plane, and that kind of destroys the purpose of it. The 15" is perfect, IMO.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Another Panther user here. We're in the process of upgrading all of our Macs as well as our Xserve. No serious difficulties as of yet.

One of our IT guys likes it so much that he's gone out and bought a Powerbook. Maybe now I'll get some support!

What could have (should have?) been, here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just finished upgrading to the panther aswell! What a great upgrade!

The link with the pink panther pic is great! =) god job!

I just bough my girl friend a iBook 800 w/ cd-r dvd and 640megs of ram and 32meg graphics card...she's haaving a blast with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts