The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit annoyed; bought a macbook on Friday and got it up and running with minimal issues on Saturday. Today it fails to boot up properly - gets to the desktop for about 2 seconds then goes to a light blue/grey screen with the little timer icon spinning for about 10 seconds before going back to the desktop... for 2 seconds... and repeat.

I have restarted, reset, run built in hardware diagnostics - no problem detected...

Any suggestions before I have to reinstall the software?

Cheers

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mac startup

Apple is #1 in customer phone help.

In the meantime you can boot up from the installation CD by holding down the C key. Is sounds like you need to reinstall?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bit annoyed; bought a macbook on Friday and got it up and running with minimal issues on Saturday. Today it fails to boot up properly - gets to the desktop for about 2 seconds then goes to a light blue/grey screen with the little timer icon spinning for about 10 seconds before going back to the desktop... for 2 seconds... and repeat.

I have restarted, reset, run built in hardware diagnostics - no problem detected...

Any suggestions before I have to reinstall the software?

Cheers
Find a store. Sign up for a genius bar appointment (can be done online). They will solve the problem 100%. THey will not shift blame, they will either solve the problem in store or send it in (free) to be shipped to your home when fixed (free.)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
iCare.

They're better than you'd think. I had problems with my iPod that required hooking it up to a computer, which I didn't have access to on the road at the time. He asked me how long until I got home, I said 20 minutes. He said he'd call back in 30. Sure enough, I sat down, hooked up the player to the computer and ring ring, iCare is calling to set things up properly.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Actually, if you just bought it the Genius Bar guys will most likely just replace it if it has to be sent in for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
minor technical issue is that I am in Australia and it is the middle of the night :( Lucky I have a real computer to access LT with ;)

I am currently reinstalling the OS - should be completed shortly

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would definitely take it back. I talked my girlfriend into getting one last year and her track pad wasn't working correctly. I told her to give them the speech about how she just paid so much money for something and expects it work correctly. They replaced it with a new one. I think the key to the speech is to give it to a manager in the middle of the store, i.e. around other customers. The way I see it is if it isn't working properly now, how will it be in 6 months. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
1st time ive heard of a mac act that way, sorry to be of no help, my macs has not failed me like that 2years running, no issues, no slowdown, no nothing

recently upgraded from a base model macbook to a macbook air for when i travel smaller lighter and no need for a cd drive (unless i intall new software on the go)

hope you resolve your issue asap

Q

·
0 Posts
Get a Windows PC! You won't have those kinda problems!

Sorry... couldn't resist!

·
Registered
222 Posts

LOL, Yep, then you'll just have every other problem. Fortunately, he doesn't need to do that because he can start up his macbook as a windows pc or a mac. :up: And then when his windows side crashes he still has his trusty mac os.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

There is no such thing as a Windows PC. Microsoft sells an OS called Windows.

I've had a MacBook Pro for about 8 months. It works great. Currently it's running MacOSX 10.5 Leopard. I updated from 10.4 several weeks ago.

I also have MS Windows XP-Pro installed (dual boot using BootCamp). I rarely run Windoze on my laptop... but sometimes I do for access to certain tools that run only under Windows. I run Fedora Linux and/or XP on my desktop systems.

I'm so pleased with the MacBook, my next desktop will probably be a Mac.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Once you have it off, push the power button until you hear a loud long "bing". Release it and see if that helps.

DC

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Apple is #1 in customer phone help.
I have been unable to find a support phone number for a problem with my iPod (data corruption). I have looked hard for any way to contact Apple besides showing up in person at an Apple Store. Got a number I could try?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would definitely take it back. I talked my girlfriend into getting one last year and her track pad wasn't working correctly. I told her to give them the speech about how she just paid so much money for something and expects it work correctly. They replaced it with a new one. I think the key to the speech is to give it to a manager in the middle of the store, i.e. around other customers. The way I see it is if it isn't working properly now, how will it be in 6 months. Good luck. ;)
Thanks - I'll be doing this today!

How do you think I'm on LT ;)

Once you have it off, push the power button until you hear a loud long "bing". Release it and see if that helps.

DC
Thanks - tried this but it didn't work.

Taking it back now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
hate macs.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
hate macs.
I did too until I spent a bunch of time with a coworker's Powerbook. Then I got my 12" Powerbook. I loved it. It performed flawlessly for me for a few years, then I retired it and bought my Macbook (I just had to have the new black laptop). Now I love that. Lots of people are switching from Windows to OSX lately. Very few switch back... :shrug:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I did too until I spent a bunch of time with a coworker's Powerbook. Then I got my 12" Powerbook. I loved it. It performed flawlessly for me for a few years, then I retired it and bought my Macbook (I just had to have the new black laptop). Now I love that. Lots of people are switching from Windows to OSX lately. Very few switch back... :shrug:
Was a system admin, had to deal with macs (for 2 years), HATE THEM. Even windows does a better job sometimes.

EDIT: I also hate Steve Jobs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my 1st Gen. Macbook for almost two years now, and I am an extreme User, My Logicboard died once, the top case had been changed twice and all under warranty. Apple is really great when it comes to customer service and the extra bugs for the protection plan are worth it's money. :clap:
When you got it running it runs like charm and never got issues.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts