The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come along on a journey my friends! I've never liked that the CF hatch re-uses the regular plastic latch cover. So I decided I'll learn how to do carbon fiber wet layup, and mold making... in an apartment...

Step 1. Have a patient partner. This is critical for when you spill pourable plastic on your counter. Do not proceed to step 2 without completing step 1.

Step 2. Buy all the **** and realize you have no idea what you are doing.

Step 3. Take your part and build a crappy containment guide.
Green Waste container Automotive tire Bumper Audio equipment

Step 4. Pour in your liquid plastic, making sure to spill it on the counter. Once dried, remove it from the part.
Grey Floor Font Gas Flooring

Step 5. Looks good but it's too flimsy. Reinforce it by building a base and pouring in more plastic. This will bulge the flimsy plastic and leave you with a lot of sanding to do.
Automotive lighting Grey Automotive design Bumper Flooring

Step 6. Primer and sand
Flooring Wood Rectangle Gas Composite material

Step 7. Clear coat with some really old clear you have laying around. It probably started rusting and will leave these cool brown streaks.
Bumper Bag Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior

Step 8. Tack down some fabric to create a template for your carbon fiber.
Sleeve Grey Beige T-shirt Collar

Sleeve Rectangle Wood Beige Tints and shades

Step 9. Wax with Partall paste wax
Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Tin Auto part

Step 10. Coat with PVA, this creats a barrier between the mold and the carbon fiber. or so you've been told
Tableware Dishware Serveware Kitchen utensil Plate

Step 11. Lay down your epoxy and carbon fiber. Panic and put your layers on too quickly not leaving enough time between layers. Cause some bridging between the surface and your carbon fiber because you have no idea what you are doing. Let it cure.
Hat Hood Cap Textile Sleeve

Hit picture limit per post and continue on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 12. Carefully trim out your piece with a Dremel or similar tool. Cut too much because your mask fogged up your glasses. No one will know.
Outerwear Hat Cap Sleeve Creative arts

Step 13. Sand with 240 grit, convince yourself that you ruined your part.
Hat Cap Sun hat Automotive tire Fedora

Step 14. Apply 3 coats of epoxy, waiting for it to get tacky between coats (40 minutes for me).
Cap Hat Grille Automotive tire Sleeve

Step 15. Sand some more
Cap Helmet Hat Gas Personal protective equipment

Step 16. Final epoxy coat. Go nuts because of bubbles!
Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Athletic shoe Outdoor shoe Auto part

Step 17. Sand 240-3,000 then polish
Shoe Hat Cap Headgear Sun hat

Musical instrument Automotive tire Snake Synthetic rubber Bumper

Step 19. Install on car
Automotive tire Automotive design Line Automotive exterior Stairs

Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I left out a lot of details in this post. Didn't want to make it a full on how-to since I don't have the experience yet. If you want some good tutorials, look up Easy Composites videos on YouTube. Quality videos on all sorts of methods and types of builds.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Awesome job! Came out great. And, I love the story. (y) (y)
Its very rewarding to make stuff yourself, especially something you can't just buy.

And, that first bit of black on your sandpaper always makes you think you ruined it! :oops:

·
Administrator
12,076 Posts
Great job! I've been watch Easy's how to YT video for years and they really have the teaching aspect down pat. Smart for them being as they sell all the goods featured.

Reactions: elisefan888
1 - 18 of 18 Posts