The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wait is over - thanks, Pat, if you're reading this (I don't qualify as an impatient bastard anymore . . .).

Only 4 hours into ownership and I've already removed the sun visors and installed airhorns. That's a record for me - the least time from ownership to mods.

Here's a pic or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
AuS4 said:
Only 4 hours into ownership and I've already removed the sun visors and installed airhorns.
I love blue cars.

Howzabout a picture of the spot where the visors used to be, or the airhorn installation?

kbob

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Sweeeeet color. Please do describe the horn replacement....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sunvisor removal was trivial (if a little incomplete). The visors simply slide off of a metal rod that acts as the pivot axis for the visor. The rod remains, but that looks like it should come off once I remove the circlip holding it in place.

I'm kinda tall, and they were really interfering with my ability to see stoplights. The next trick will be replacing the rearview mirror - way oversized for my taste.

I'll detail the horn installation (yes, even with pics) once I get back from my break-in roadtrip. Wish me luck!

:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Surferjer said:
Sweeeeet color.
Funny, I felt the same about your color. After starting to worry that I made a poor choice, I'm really happy now. Magnetic Blue really "pops" without screaming "look at me."

Here's a pic showing the MB/bis color combo (there may be other interiors that work better with MB, but I'm likin' this so far).

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
congratulations! MB looks great here! I wish Lotus gave us only four choices for colors: black, red, white & yellow. Too many colors to chose from, I'm going crazy!!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Awesome! I ordered the same color combo, it looks great!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aus4, Congratulations, beatifull color combo. I've been pretty pleased with the biscuit interior color, it's a good shade of beige that goes well with almost any body color.

Regarding the sun visors I removed mine as well. the rods that are left can't be removed by taking out what you are thinking is a circlip, it is a washer. To remove the rods you are going to need a very tiny wrench to grab the flat part of the metal rod and unscrew it from the black plastic bracket that is attached to the car. It takes a good number of turns to pull it out but it eventually comes off and the little plastic bracket that remains is pretty much invisible from the cabin. Removing the two sun visors makes a big difference for tall people. If you find a good replacement mirror let us know, I was going to go to the Mini dealership and check out how much theyll charge me for one. the one in thi Mini is small and oval and should be a good match. The one that is the car is huge and is made by GM!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Beautiful Car! WOW what a great combo. The int looks a little darker in the pics, like a chestnut brown.
I think the Boxster or miata rearview mirror would work fine as well..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roadtrip report

The first weekend with the car was an unequivocal success - 500 mile roadtrip to Maine and back along the coast. The lack of mechanical issues does make me wonder about the British pedigree of this car, however.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I mentioned in another post, the seats became uncomfortable _for me_ after more than an hour in the seat. Lumbar adjustments helped to aleviate the aches somewhat, but luckily the car has a small tank (and so does my wife) so we stopped frequently along the way. An inflatable neck pillow placed at the base of the backrest helped me immensely. I may try to find a seat that sits lower in the chassis so I don't feel that I need to slouch to position myself. This is a definite try-before-you-buy issue for folks more than, I dunno, 6'1"? No one else who has been in my car has reported any such problems. Maybe I just need to do more back extensions and ab work . . .

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The trip up was top-down, temps in the 80s. The air-con kept up nicely to keep the cabin comfortable. Just remember to wear sunscreen, folks. The trip down was humid and rainy. Only a single, solitary drop made its way past the top - not bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The trunk is capable of consuming the luggage necessary for weekend trips, even with the top stowed back there. Some patience is necessary to fit it all, but, if soft, luggage does find a way of fitting. Just remember to be careful inserting the bags, there is a considerable liftover, and you don't want to scratch that beautiful tail!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Al,
You must have a long torso, I'm 6'2 and have loads of headroom. Not sure how much lower you can go to the floor as it's pretty close to the floor now.

Chris

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not all honeymoons are perfect, of course, and there are a few little things I'll have the dealer address at the 1000 mile service. But for now, I'm just lying-in-wait until the break-in is over and the first open track session comes along. I'm absolutely sure that none of my previous cars or track experience have prepared me adequately for what is in store.

Oh yeah - almost forgot - you better not be self-conscious or afraid of talking to strangers, because everywhere you drive and park, you'll be stared at and asked questions. Many are surprising knowledgeable about the car. The best comment so far has got to be, "Got any money left?" Sadly, no. (Although more than had I spent the $150k this fellow thought the car cost.)

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zvezdah1 said:
Al,
You must have a long torso, I'm 6'2 and have loads of headroom. Not sure how much lower you can go to the floor as it's pretty close to the floor now.

Chris
Chris,

It's not actually a matter of headroom - of that, there is plenty, even with the softtop on. It's also not a matter of how far the seat can be pushed back, either, as I have several notches left. Rather, it's the feeling of sitting "on" the car, rather than "in" it - if you can understand that (and as hard as it may be to believe). As a result, I sloutch. But I am lanky, gangly, awkward and my neck is too long - in fact, I'm a rather odd collection of limbs - so YMMV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts