The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about this a bit and I think this would be a great solution for us Elise/Exige owners. I am going to work on a design that would incorporate rare earth magnets that would be glued to the inside of the plate mount area (behind the fiber glass).

Additional magnets would be glued to the back side of a plate and a thin film or felt pad would go over this to keep the magnet from directly touching the fiber glass. I think it may work well and be non intrusive.

If there is additional interest I would share my findings on parts and stuff, I don't think it would be all that hard to figure out.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hey Jon - why not just something that can screw into the tow hook and then magnet something from there...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried it already, exactly as you have described. It works, but the down side is the magnets in the nose pick up all kinds of ferrous crap off the road that are a real bugger to remove so you finish up having to put clear bar or something over the plinth to keep it clean.

·
not your dad's puns
1,767 Posts
Moving this out of FS for now, as it appears there are existing DIY alternatives. OP please lmk if you decide to pursue this, keeping in mind that the powers-that-be may require a vendor agreement if this ends up being more than just a one off thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts