The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would love to see what you come up with!

I might be your first (and possibly only) customer for one.

I just made a simple bracket out of some sheet aluminum I had lying around the basement.
What I am thinking at the moment is using your idea for using the existing holes to mount it but using the bottom ones and centering it below the plate. I make stuff like this all the time but lack of spare time keeps me with a back log of more items to design. I have ordered the parts so when they get here I'll sit down and start measuring and modeling. I'll probably keep it pretty simple. If there is room I may try to use the top mounting holes and try to fit it above the plate some but I'll have to see if that would look okay.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would be interested for both Evora and Elise. It would need to be mounted externally (this is the whole point) and the magnet would need to plug in to the standard deltran battery tender quick connect. A nice option would be a weatherproof cover for the attachment point to keep it safe and hide it.

Currently, I open the rear hatch and plug in after every drive. It would be nice to simply attach a magnet externally.

I haven't looked into options, but the simplest solution may be a diy with off the shelf parts though it may not be easily reversable if drilling was required.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would be interested for both Evora and Elise. It would need to be mounted externally (this is the whole point) and the magnet would need to plug in to the standard deltran battery tender quick connect. A nice option would be a weatherproof cover for the attachment point to keep it safe and hide it.

Currently, I open the rear hatch and plug in after every drive. It would be nice to simply attach a magnet externally.

I haven't looked into options, but the simplest solution may be a diy with off the shelf parts though it may not be easily reversable if drilling was required.
Ummm...this is what I did...exactly. It mounts externally, it plugs into a standard Deltran battery tender quick connect plug, it's waterproof, it has a spring-loaded cover, and I made it with off-the-shelf parts. Oh...and it's completely reversible.

See post #1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm in if you come up with something
A
Another +1 for interest in a custom bracket.
Alright well 3D printing isn't all that great for mass production but I imagine the interest in this would be pretty low volume anyway so I could make some for you guys. Maybe I could share the design too since I know I am not the only 3D printing nerd with an Elige and there are 3D printing services like 3dhubs.com.

I just got a notification that the magnetic pieces shipped. When I have a design ready for printing I think I am going to print in a nylon or PET based material. That area of the car can get quite warm and the traditional ABS and PLA filaments probably wont hold up as years/miles go by. The nylon I prefer now starts off a milky white/transparent color but is easily died with Rit clothing fabric dye.

This is a set of mounts I made for a light bar for my 4runner. The ones it came with were too tall to tuck the bar into the lower grille opening so I made some new ones. They are printed in nylon and then dyed black. They have only been on there for a few months but I think they are going to hold up just fine as someone made an intake manifold for a diesel motor out of this material.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Alright well 3D printing isn't all that great for mass production but I imagine the interest in this would be pretty low volume anyway so I could make some for you guys.
I could be happily off base on this but, I'd be pretty surprised if you had buyers for a half-dozen. Not going to be high-volume (or high-profit, unfortunately),

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
I bought one of these connectors, but not for Elise.

That solution was simpler.

I have the BT end zip tied to louver and pull that out to charge, push it in when done.

This did require a small screw on the RH side of the LH louver, but works wonderfully.

Invisible when not being used.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
interested for sure!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
hey Habious - any update on your project?
Inquiring minds would like to know :)
Cheers
A
My project is done. It worked the day I posted the OP.

Handy as heck, too.

At least 2 times, I've driven off and forgotten to unhook the charger. And the GF has done it at least once as well.

Takes absolutely zero effort to put in on...or take it off...the charger. I'm back there anyway, putting the roof in or taking the roof out of the trunk.
@fjohn624 was talking about 3D printing a mount. Not sure where he's at with that project. I just cut the mounting plate from a sheet of aluminum that I had lying around (cut it with a scroll saw). Works great and required zero modifications to the car.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got it - my error - forgot fjohn624 was the 3D guy
Thanks for the quick reply
Have a good weekend
No problem at all. It was my project to start with. I'm the "expert", I guess.

I'm hoping @fjohn624 comes up with something cool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have one prototype which I like the way it looks and another that honestly is way easier to print and install so that is likely the one I am going with. I suddenly got really busy and have been out of town. I will pick back up this weekend.

I tried to get it to mount behind the plate/frame and then go around it but it makes it stick up too high and too far out. The next version will probably bolt on top of the plate. Not as sexy but its necessary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
I found a great glue for plastic, 2 part epoxy.

Cut a piece of metal for a spacer and glued it all to the car.

Pushing on the device does not move it.

Sorry for bad picture.

(Elise? See previous post for 5 cent installation of BT connector)

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I gave up on the behind the plate style mount. Its possible to use but its so cramped I just don't like it. If I move the charge port hole down any farther there wont be any support left for it and it could just snap off. I have resorted to the original idea which mounts in front of a plate.

For those that have printers or use 3d printing services I am going to post the printable file up on thingiverse later and I'll add a link to this thread since I can't attach an stl file here.

As for material I settled on PETG as it is strong and resists heat better than PLA and ABS. Nylon materials were a good test but unnecessary and not worth the trouble for people who would like to print this on printers without heated build chambers.

For those that would like me to print them for them, I will try to get a few of these done in the next couple of weeks for the select few that have been interested. I am sorry it has taken this long, I just have been very busy and was behind on printer maintenance/modification projects.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts