The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
@Habious, thanks much for finding this connector. Works very well.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@Habious, thanks much for finding this connector. Works very well.
You're welcome.

I'm glad others find it useful as well. For me, it's a godsend. I forget to unplug the trickle charger probably at least once every 10 days or so.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
I've (so far) never done that.

On XRS, BT sits on hood.

Elise, I put large red reflector on the box BT lives in.

On tractor, I can't use seat until I disconnect BT & fold seat down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So a few of you had expressed interest previously. @Habious @Altres @lobuzz311 @Kukadog @Voicekiller @ERDoc74 I'm not sure what your opinions of the final result are. I am not trying to make a product, I just tailored this for me and my application. That isn't to say I couldn't make slight tweaks to the model if it isn't too time consuming based on an individual's application. But right now I think this is something that can work on a wide range of vehicles, and you can even mount it at the bottom of the plate on some vehicles.

I have been thinking about this a bit and since its not a real product and wasn't meant to be, its hard for me to set a price on something like this. What I was thinking was to offer it to you guys (since you expressed interest in it early on) as a "value for value" sale. Basically I send it to you and you can pay whatever you think its worth to you over shipping (which will probably be like $7 for a flat rate mailer). When you get it just pay whatever you think its worth. Seriously if you think its only worth $3, well that's fine; if its worth $30, great. I have already offered the design up on Thingiverse so anyone can grab that and print it at home or using a 3d printing service (like 3dhubs) of their choice. So it's not like I'm out to sell a bunch of these things. It would be cool to collect enough money from it so I can pay for the "lifetime premium member" status on this site. Since I only counted 6 people who even expressed a slight interest and one of those (Habious) kind of deserves a completely free one, I don't see making much on this endeavor and I may need some of the people lurking and just reading this thread to jump in on this lol.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Please keep in mind there are three different mounts that I made. Two of which are designed to mount behind the plate. The one called "behind the plate but offset mount" is an idea for the later cars and to use the bottom plate mounting holes and for the charge port to hang below the plate like in Habious' original post. I haven't tested that one because I know it would run into my diffuser but some of you may be able to use that one.
Check thingiverse for what I am talking about https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2473931/#files

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for going through the trouble of making this and offering it up to us all. That's really cool!
I will have to pass, as I do not want to block my license plate frame in any way (11-99 member).
I think for others without that requirement, it will be awesome.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just ordered this from seller on Ebay in England. Unfortunately they wouldn't take off the VAT. Working on a battery relocation project to the passenger footwell so don't really want to mount it at the back of the car or anywhere on the rear clam. Any suggestions where else to mount it?

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Interior pass side wall, right below tray??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Whole point of this is so you don't have to connect to the maintainer by opening the door or snaking the plug to the interior through the window.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Whole point of this is so you don't have to connect to the maintainer by opening the door or snaking the plug to the interior through the window.
I don't think that if it were visible, it wouldn't be ugly.

Put it on drivers side...unless you add a sunroof to slide thru. You're going to have to open the door sometime....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great Job!
I'm willing to throw in a few $$$'s to get you that upgrade.
I have to check out the back of my car to measure clearance but I'm prone to try the behind the plate offsite.
Arne

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Habious - thank you for this great idea! I've ordered the magnetic connector and it's on the way. I know you mentioned using half of a 25' extension cord for the inside-the-car portion...do you know what is a reasonable length to use? I assume 2' would be too short?
@fjohn624 - thank you for your 3D modeling! Did you find that the PETG material holds up to heat well enough even on long drives?

Thanks guys what an elegant solution to having our cars hooked up to a battery maintainer :clap:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
@Habious - thank you for this great idea! I've ordered the magnetic connector and it's on the way. I know you mentioned using half of a 25' extension cord for the inside-the-car portion...do you know what is a reasonable length to use? I assume 2' would be too short?
Thanks for the kind words.

If you were going straight from the battery to the connector down by the license plate, it's about 3 feet, as the crow flies.

But, you really need to route it around the inside edge of the clam, to tuck it out of the way. So, it's more like 6-8 feet of wire needed.

I used a 25 foot cable (and chopped it up) because they're easy to find and dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
love the garage floors! how did you do that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.

If you were going straight from the battery to the connector down by the license plate, it's about 3 feet, as the crow flies.

But, you really need to route it around the inside edge of the clam, to tuck it out of the way. So, it's more like 6-8 feet of wire needed.

I used a 25 foot cable (and chopped it up) because they're easy to find and dirt cheap.
Awesome, thank you. The mag connectors just arrived today from the UK...my Elise should arrive early next week (haven't even seen it in person yet!), so that's why I have no clue how long the wire should be :shrug:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Awesome, thank you. The mag connectors just arrived today from the UK...my Elise should arrive early next week (haven't even seen it in person yet!), so that's why I have no clue how long the wire should be :shrug:
Wow. I honestly feel honored. You received the parts for MY little ol' mod...before you've even taken possession of the car.

I'm humbled, sir.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
347 Posts
@Habious or @fjohn624 please describe the path you ran the wires from the battery. I haven't pulled all of the insulation out of the trunk yet but I don't see an easy path.

Thanks to both of you for sharing this information. I'm printing a mount as I type this.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
@Habious or @fjohn624 please describe the path you ran the wires from the battery. I haven't pulled all of the insulation out of the trunk yet but I don't see an easy path.

Thanks to both of you for sharing this information. I'm printing a mount as I type this.
From the connector mounted outside the car...I went up, through the license plate light (Cut a little notch to let the wire through without pinching it).

Once you're inside the rear clam, in the trunk area, it's a straight shot to the battery. I took the long way around (inside the trunk), just to keep the wires out of the way of anything that I might put in the trunk.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts