The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just crept over 41k miles after yesterday's drive. An oil change is in order but with that many miles on the car and really no access to prior service records, what should I be expecting to do on the car that isn't considered a mod/upgrade but just good upkeep?

When I bought the car in April, I had all the fluids flushed and changed: Brake, Transmission, Oil, Coolant. I noticed yesterday my AC simply does not work, so I would like to get that fixed. The car seems squeaky/creaking over bumps more today since my drive yesterday.. not sure why but I noticed it.

Air Filter?
Plugs?
Brakes/Rotors?
Sector 111 has a Lotus suspension refresh kit? Thoughts on that?
AC recharge?

Anything that ought to be replaced that would be easier to get to with other things being worked on?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Check air filter annually as if you still have the silencer in place it is a Hoover. Nothing else is mileage limited except plugs and that is usually a useless expenditure. Creaks and rattles are character.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My shifter cable failed in the 40-46k'ish milage range.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Air Filter?
Plugs?
Brakes/Rotors?
AC recharge?
here is what we did when I bought my Elise this past May... it had 27k on it & I wasn’t really sure what was done prior so i swept through the basics

-oil change (i use Eneos 5w40 as long as i can source it locally)
-trans fluid change (redline mt90)
-brake/clutch fluid change (motul rbf600)
-spark plugs (i used NGK bkr7e11)
-air filter (toyota filter, also removed snorkel pipe)

I ended up having to replace the rear pads since they were close to gone & cut the rear rotors as well

while I had the car in the shop I also redid all the oil cooler fittings/clamps & removed my driver side cooler (i am just running the passenger side now after reading that the 2 coolers tend to be overkill)... upon inspection of the factory lines i saw 0 issues with oil leaks, but did this fully based on precaution

I read too many horror stories to feel good about really driving it before that was taken care of... needless to say it’s a pretty time consuming job especially since I drove my car from the trailer it was delivered on to the shop & was removing the front clam less than a few hours into ownership

I also have some crappy cooling from my AC so I’ll probably remove the compressor/condenser over the winter when I upgrade my radiator (this is my choice though, most others would probably just recharge the AC & keep it installed)

Some other maintenance things that will be on the agenda before winter…

-replace accessory belt (its not in bad shape or anything, but its cheap enough just to take care of)
-upgrade radiator (again, horror stories will lead me to do this even though my stock one is fine at the moment)
-replace lift bolts (inspect cam wear)

That’s pretty much it… hoping nothing else really gives me problems now that I have taken care of all the Elise specific weak points (including the rear toe link upgrade from sector111)

hopefully this will give you an idea of the basic wear items that you may want to take care of before too long if you bought the Elise used

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Air Filter?
Is it dirty? If so replace/clean

Plugs?
As said above usually a wasted upgrade

Brakes/Rotors?
How are the pads? Are you feeling a lip on the outside edge of the rotors? If not you're probably good - if you can measure them they need to be thicker than 24mm (be sure not to measure the lip but the center part of the rotor)

I considered it for my track-only car this winter when I had it all pulled apart. Ultimately decided not to do it as I'll just wait until I swap the entire suspension for Nitrons. I'd say no need unless things look bad or you're tracking a lot

AC recharge?
Well sure, whatever it takes to get it going again.

The only other thing that came to mind is bleeding the clutch next time you bleed the brakes. If it hasn't been done it'd be good to get that last little bit out of there.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts