The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former '17 Evora 400 owner here. I am looking to get another '17 or '18, but since many of at least the '17's warranty periods will expire soon (assuming a 36-month/36,000 mile term), I am concerned about maintenance and service. I live in Melbourne, Florida, and the closest Lotus dealership is in Orlando, which is approximately one-hour drive away. I'm okay with that, assuming I can schedule most maintenance. I would like to know what maintenance service has been like for everyone. Did you get an extended warranty, and if so, what was the cost? Was it worth it, or would it be better just to set aside a certain amount of money every year for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance? Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depends on your local dealer of course, but in the DFW area, factory warranty was and is as good as worthless. Cannot speak to major issues, but as long as your particular Evora doesn't have electrical gremlins, out of pocket maintenance should be pretty reasonable. Error codes, faults, limp mode, sensors - these are what killed my first Evora ownership experience and I am on my second now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in Tampa and I use Lotus of Orlando to service my vehicle so far. I have found their customer service to be too notch and their pricing to be fair for a dealer. My car has had a few minor warranty items addressed during my time with it and it hasn't been an issue. I don't plan to get an extended warranty because I've got 30k on the 400 and I assume all of the little issues have been resolved. I can't find my service receipts at the moment but from the top of my head I think prices for the services I have had are as follows:

Alignment: $160
Brake flush: $120
Oil change: $120-$150ish

I'll probably start doing the routine maintenance myself now that the car is dropping out of warranty in January. I used to utilize the dealer when we were visiting my wife's family in the area but they are now moving to Tampa so that's not as convenient.

I just got back from Sebring this weekend and the car was fun hard on track for 3.5 hours over 7 sessions in a single day. It took it like a champ and didn't complain once. I have complete confidence in it. I gave two ride a longs and both passengers commented on how capable, balanced, and comfortable the car was on track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies all!

·
Loves to talk
827 Posts
Using it at an average rate of about 6K miles a year, my maintenance costs have been $400 per year. Just oil is under $200. I think I paid about $150 last time. I replaced tires at 12K using my dealer for service and had an alignment done at the same time which (using my dealer) was $200 over and above the annual service.

Here is a redacted (for brevity) quote detailing service recommendations.

"The Lotus Evora requires a regular service to be carried out either once a year or every 9,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner). Additional items may be required based upon the age and mileage of the Lotus.

2 years / 18,000 miles – Pollen filter, clutch / brake fluid
4 years / 36,000 miles – Transmission oil manual and IPS, air filter, coolant
6 years / 54,000 miles – Spark plugs"

None of these operations are hard to do (although looking at it, I'd rather pay someone else to change out plugs ). Many of our more ambitious members do it all themselves and if I were better equipped (and not so lazy) I could do it as well. But it's quite reasonable to just roll it in to my dealer in whom I have full confidence to accomplish such minor work efficiently. I don't pay much less to get my VW GTI serviced. The Evora doesn't ask much of you. No engine out cam belts, no valve adjustments, no nothing beyond typical modern car requirements. Like a Toyota!

I did all the research before I bought my car and one of the compelling features was how inexpensive running costs are on a well sorted Evora compared to the competition. I'm sure a Carrera, Cayman and absolutely anything more exotic would also be more expensive to run. For efficient operation, short of a Vette or a Miata, it's pretty hard to beat a Lotus.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
You are taking care of a Toyota powertrain. Nuff said

·
Registered
840 Posts
Maintenance costs have been OK for me as I have always done the routine stuff on all of our cars myself - plenty of time being retired. The dealer in Cleveland no longer sells Lotus but will do routine stuff. Too far to drive for an oil change and then sit and wait. So far the new one runs great.

From a previous 2016 post of mine:

Cost of ownership

After 4 years and 30790 miles. Just back from the dealer for new transmission and coolant fluids after 4 years, software updates, and a window repair.

Oil change every 4K miles: $46 ($6 filter, $40 for 6 qts. Mobil 1)

New battery after 4 years: $155

Brake Fluid every 2 years: $16 (2 quarts)

Pollen filter every 2 years: $8

Air filter every 2 years: $18

Rear tires every 18K miles: $635 includes $100 labor to mount/balance both

ECU update: labor $70

TCU update: labor $70

New window regulator: parts $690, labor $140

4 year maintenance:

transmission fill: parts $60, labor $210
coolant fill: parts $76, labor $140

The dealer charges $140/hour for labor. I do the routine maintenance.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
You are taking care of a Toyota powertrain. Nuff said
Speaking of that since I'm worried about my local Lotus dealership closing I'm thinking for maybe simple things like an oil change just bring to Toyota dealership? Anyone do that?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Speaking of that since I'm worried about my local Lotus dealership closing I'm thinking for maybe simple things like an oil change just bring to Toyota dealership? Anyone do that?
I'd rather take it to a good import indy shop and pay a little extra for care (like what I now do for my daily AMG). I have the luxury of two dealerships nearby and I'd rather drive 20 min further to the Aston Martin/Lotus dealer with a clean/organized garage and all good mechanics than the Jeep/Lotus dealer with a dodgy garage and "one lotus guy".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Former '17 Evora 400 owner here. I am looking to get another '17 or '18, but since many of at least the '17's warranty periods will expire soon (assuming a 36-month/36,000 mile term), I am concerned about maintenance and service. I live in Melbourne, Florida, and the closest Lotus dealership is in Orlando, which is approximately one-hour drive away. I'm okay with that, assuming I can schedule most maintenance. I would like to know what maintenance service has been like for everyone. Did you get an extended warranty, and if so, what was the cost? Was it worth it, or would it be better just to set aside a certain amount of money every year for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance? Thanks!
When I had my Final Edition Esprit I brought it to Eurotech in Merritt Island. You can see my car in the promo video on their site. They are very honest and definitely don't perform unneeded work. Their rate is about half that of the Astin/Lotus dealer in Orlando. Incidentally, when I had the timing belt replaced, Orlando needed an Esprit tech flown down from North Carolina to do the work. I'm sure they are quite competent with post Esprit models though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I had my Final Edition Esprit I brought it to Eurotech in Merritt Island. You can see my car in the promo video on their site. They are very honest and definitely don't perform unneeded work. Their rate is about half that of the Astin/Lotus dealer in Orlando. Incidentally, when I had the timing belt replaced, Orlando needed an Esprit tech flown down from North Carolina to do the work. I'm sure they are quite competent with post Esprit models though.
Thanks for the tip. If I EVER get another Lotus, I'll look this place up. By the way, when I owned a '15 Maserati Granturismo, I brought it in a few times to a place in Melbourne called.British Performance. I liked the work they did, but starting feel that prices were creeping up, and not always for things I needed done on the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the tip. If I EVER get another Lotus, I'll look this place up. By the way, when I owned a '15 Maserati Granturismo, I brought it in a few times to a place in Melbourne called.British Performance. I liked the work they did, but starting feel that prices were creeping up, and not always for things I needed done on the car.
I'm familiar, they had an Esprit parked there. Looked into a granturismo a couple weeks back at HGreg in Orlando. 19000 miles $38500. They wouldn't let me bring it to my mechanic as promised for an inspection so I walked. They are kinda known for empty promises and previously damaged hardware. That's why I'm probably buying a Lotus tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm familiar, they had an Esprit parked there. Looked into a granturismo a couple weeks back at HGreg in Orlando. 19000 miles $38500. They wouldn't let me bring it to my mechanic as promised for an inspection so I walked. They are kinda known for empty promises and previously damaged hardware. That's why I'm probably buying a Lotus tomorrow.
I bought a '14 Jaguar XF-RS from HGreg of Pompano Beach. Within six months and after having an oil/filter change by an independent Jaguar repair shop in Orlando, I was told the front brake pads and rotors had to be replaced, and all four tires would need replacing within a hundred more miles. I took that up with HGreg, saying that if they really adhered to a thorough pre-sales vehicle inspection and service, those things should have been addressed before selling the car. There was also premature wear on the driver's seat that I didn't notice upon taking possession (shame on me). It took a lot of emails, texts, and phone calls but eventually HGreg sent me a check - for $250.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts