The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - looked through a ton of threads, and think I've caught everything but would be interested to know if there is any other preventive maintenance I should look to complete. I've had my '07 Elise for a year, and have 5,000 miles on it. It's never been tracked. Yesterday I performed:

Coolant flush
Brake/clutch fluid change
Transmission gear oil change to 75w/90 synthetic
Spark plugs changed
Engine oil/filter change (no signs of oil lines dripping)
Air cleaner
Toe links re-torqued to 60Nm
All other suspension components checked and retorqued

Other than the recall which we are waiting for (oil lines at oil cooler), are there any other ticking time bombs I should watch for?

Thanks so much! :up:

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
You changed the spark plugs and brake fluid at 5000 miles? Jesus Velociraptor Christ.

The ticking timebomb in this case is realizing that your elise ownership experience will never reach a tiny percentage of it's potential. Go drive the damn thing.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
All service items have a mileage and time replacement...even though he doesn't the miles, they were definitely due by time.

But I do agree, get out and drive that thing!

But no, I would think you got everything.

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts
You changed the spark plugs and brake fluid at 5000 miles? Jesus Velociraptor Christ.

The ticking timebomb in this case is realizing that your elise ownership experience will never reach a tiny percentage of it's potential. Go drive the damn thing.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Even if the car only has 5k on it, 5 year old brake fluid is plenty old enough to be changed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just keep in mind that you may want to proactively mitigate the oil line failure. I removed the entire cooler hookup and sandwich and run only a filter with the toyota adapter. If Lotus extends the recall and actually gets parts to the dealers, we both can still bring the car in for that. (mine is an 07 as well.....16k miles and I did smell oil with the windows open only and see weeping right near the cooler)

The radiator is another weak point, but they have a more noticable failure point before they dammage the system. Unlike the oil lines that come off.....dump oil.....lunch your engine, then notify you with zero traction.....the radiator simply bursts and sends fluid all over your windshield. You'll be able to brake to a stop and shut off the car before any dammage is done. I'll be doing a replacement all aluminum radiator over the winter sometime. It requires a front clam removal.

A small item is the thermostat. The plastic part can fail and not allow the thermostat to fully open. I had this starting to happen and replaced it with an autozone all metal stat. I dropped the temp to 170, but that's your choice. With the clam off, it's about 15 minutes. With it on, expect to hear lots of swearing.

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts
If you remove the oil cooler lines you probably should disclose that if you ever choose to sell your car. its probably not the type of thing a buyer could be expected to ask about ahead of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how were your toe links? loose?
Maybe an 1/8th of a turn, and that was at 60Nm. Clearly they had been tightened previously.

For me, the car is a weekend fun car and likely won't see the track at all. Doesn't mean it isn't fun in the meantime. :coolnana:

The plugs and fluids were a peace of mind thing (especially tranny). Brake fluid was dark - definitely needed it. Coolant likely could have gone longer but oh well - again, peace of mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may want to pop the valve cover off and check the cams for scoring.
Should probably take a peek for cam scoring - haven't yet had a chance. Didn't think it was likely with the low miles, but I suppose anything is possible.

Have had the terrible start up noise (timing chain tensioner) on two occasions after sitting for several weeks or more. Lasted for 1-2 seconds each time then went right away. Made me cringe both times. I keep reading that it is nothing to worry about, but it sounded like a Peterbilt made its way into my engine bay. -eek-

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
There are two rubber coolant lines wearing a kinky little rubber corset, that form a circuit originally meant for an oil/coolant heat exchanger. Lotus doesn't use the heat exchanger, so they connected the hoses with a metal u-bend, and that u-bend is prone to abrading until it springs a coolant leak.

To find it, look at your oil filter. It mounts on a sandwich plate. The sandwich plate has two fittings for the oil lines going to/from the oil coolers. The problem u-bend hangs right above those two fittings. Wrap it with some heater hose hose and zip-tie it so it can't flop around. Alternatively, if you ever remove the intake, you can remove the whole mess - both rubber hoses and the bend - and just replace them with a short section cut from one of the hoses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts