The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a subaru legacy 2.5 GT and basiclly all of my maintenance on my own. But i was wondering does any one know how hard it might be to the minor maintenance stuff.

If anyone has any idea that'd be cool.

jeremy

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Have a Legacy Outback, and a MR2 Turbo. Working on mid-engines it's a bit tight, image more so on the Elsie. Routine stuff (plugs, oil filter) should be pretty straight forward. Actually you've got me wondering if it's got a under body tray that will be needed to be remove to get to the oil drain plug. Chaning cooling(if it's like the '2) may require a bit more effort.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I was just told that you to remove the bottom panel that is attached to the bottom of the car in order to get to the oil filter.

Looks like I will need to invent an oil filter relocation kit or get some 3 year olds to crawl under the car with screwdrivers!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I can't say with experience about the Elise, but you often have to remove undertrays to do stuff with the MR2. No big deal on that car.

Try changing and burping the coolant on an MR2. No easy job.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Oil and filter require removing the undertray. It takes 5 minutes to remove about 15 bolts. All are the same size except the two that attached to the sub-chassis. Basiclly, jack up one side of the car, take off the tray, and do the oil filter/oil thing. The entire process takes less than 30 minutes. I do it before every track event on my car.

Roy

ps. I did not look where the oil filter is on the Fed car...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The underbody panel must have been designed by a British Leylnd car owner who got tired of the oil leaks in his driveway..Let it drip ito the panel instead of the ground. Now we need to create a collection area for the dripping oil so it can be routeds into the hot exhaust pipes and create a smoke screen.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
xxxotic said:
The underbody panel must have been designed by a British Leylnd car owner who got tired of the oil leaks in his driveway..Let it drip ito the panel instead of the ground. Now we need to create a collection area for the dripping oil so it can be routeds into the hot exhaust pipes and create a smoke screen.
LOL :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts