The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just tried some of the Trim Shine by Stoner on the radiator grills, side scoop grills, front grills and engine cover grills - OMG, it makes them look like they have a beautiful satin black paint on them. This stuff also doesn't seem to cause any problems where you overspray on the paint. I wiped it up anyway, which was a snap. You just spray it on. Took me about 3 minutes to do all those grills.

Has anyone else used this stuff. I am amazed.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Can we get a picture please? :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allan Gibbs said:
Can we get a picture please? :)
Wife is out of the country with digital camera and the only cell phone with camera. I will post when she returns.

AFter a year of these black grills being flat, porous, and dull, all I can say is it looks like they are painted now. We'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Brennon said:
Meguiar's Trim Detailer does an excellent job as well.
I'll bump this thread to say while I've used both the Meguiar's and the Mother's trim products, the Stoner Trim Shine is almost magical in how much easier and better it is.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Where can you buy Stoner stuff? (No, not copies of "High Times" or water pipes. LOL!)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PhlypSide said:
Where can you buy Stoner stuff? (No, not copies of "High Times" or water pipes. LOL!)
I got mine at a local auto parts store - Schucks, I think. You can order direct from Stoner at www.trimshine.com or just google Stoner Trim Shine and tons of places pop up.

I was just down at the Lotus of Portland event and several folks wanted to know if I had painted my black plastic grills. Its great stuff.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Thanks slaughter and Tim! I've never heard of this stuff and it's going on all my cars now :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
One thing I just found on a review about trim shine: http://www.okctriumphs.org/Newsletters/triumph_trails apr 07.htm

If you go nuts spraying it it will likely eat the wax around the trim, so be careful?

"Like Invisible Glass, Stoner’s Trim Shine for interior and exterior plastic and rubber trim and More Shine Less Time for tires have a different texture and smell about them than their competitor’s products. Again, on a chemical level, I do not know what makes them different, but the results seem to be a cleaner, less gummy appearance and feel. Trim Shine produces a very nice, crisp, new look on plastic. Unlike the overly glossy almost wet appearance of Armor All or Meguiar’s, Trim Shine provides a drier matted look. And like Invisible Glass, it takes a couple of applications of Trim Shine to get through the accumulation of film left behind by other products. It has restored a more natural, less glossy look to the center support vinyl on my red TR6. And after several applications, the years of sun baked dirt and grime on the white TR6 bumper over riders is disappearing to reveal good looking original rubber. The other nice thing about Trim Shine is that it is the only product I have found that will dissolve dried car wax that has gotten into places you don’t want it. Textured plastic trim from which it has been nearly impossible to remove accidentally applied wax can now be cleaned. It worked great to clean the dried wax from between the lettering on my tail lights, another troublesome spot.?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
dma550 said:
One thing I just found on a review about trim shine: http://www.okctriumphs.org/Newsletters/triumph_trails apr 07.htm

If you go nuts spraying it it will likely eat the wax around the trim, so be careful?

"Like Invisible Glass, Stoner’s Trim Shine for interior and exterior plastic and rubber trim and More Shine Less Time for tires have a different texture and smell about them than their competitor’s products. Again, on a chemical level, I do not know what makes them different, but the results seem to be a cleaner, less gummy appearance and feel. Trim Shine produces a very nice, crisp, new look on plastic. Unlike the overly glossy almost wet appearance of Armor All or Meguiar’s, Trim Shine provides a drier matted look. And like Invisible Glass, it takes a couple of applications of Trim Shine to get through the accumulation of film left behind by other products. It has restored a more natural, less glossy look to the center support vinyl on my red TR6. And after several applications, the years of sun baked dirt and grime on the white TR6 bumper over riders is disappearing to reveal good looking original rubber. The other nice thing about Trim Shine is that it is the only product I have found that will dissolve dried car wax that has gotten into places you don’t want it. Textured plastic trim from which it has been nearly impossible to remove accidentally applied wax can now be cleaned. It worked great to clean the dried wax from between the lettering on my tail lights, another troublesome spot.?
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to apply mine with a small sponge/brush.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
LARRY said:
And put the Back to Black on the sills too!
I've been using Mother's Back to Black since I saw Larry's recommendation awhile ago. Couldn't find Stoner's here in town. Mother's seems to work pretty well but seems to collect the VA pollen quite a bit. First use, I only had time to do one side of the rear lid grills and they turned green from the pollen collected on them. Other side stayed a nice shade of grey through the bad pollen counts.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
For those of you with the white compounding residue all over your black plastic trim (courtesy of Lotus) that will not go away, I sprayed the Trim Shine on my trim and the white went away and stayed away. I have tried just about everything else to remove the white residue and Trim Shine worked perfectly with no effort--even in the hard to reach places like the little rear grilles. Just spray it on, let it sit a little while and remove any over spray you might have on your paint with a detail rag. This stuff is incredible! :up:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
tesprit said:
For those of you with the white compounding residue all over your black plastic trim (courtesy of Lotus) that will not go away, I sprayed the Trim Shine on my trim and the white went away and stayed away. I have tried just about everything else to remove the white residue and Trim Shine worked perfectly with no effort--even in the hard to reach places like the little rear grilles. Just spray it on, let it sit a little while and remove any over spray you might have on your paint with a detail rag. This stuff is incredible! :up:
For those in Chicagoland, Murray's Auto Parts has them. I bought 4-cans (maxxed out the sale item limit) last month.

I haven't had a chance to put in on the car yet, hopefully this weekend I'll get my chance :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
banzai said:
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work as well as spraying it on. Not sure why.
I'm going to spray into a small bowl or cup so that the chemicals actually pool and then use the brush. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
For what it's worth, I tried the new Turtle Wax Ice. They claim that it can be used on plastic and rubber because it is silicon based. I was skeptical. I tried it on a small section of the front grill above the radiator and on the rubber "grab handles" in the door. It does what they say. It worked better than "Back to Black." And as a wax it has held up well. I recommend it. You don't have to worry about wax in your louvres turning white with time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts