The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

I know, I know. You don't need to tell me. I'm considering it anyway. For a number of reasons....

1) It's my car, shutup! LOL! I've always had a love for these style doors. And say what you will, I think it looks awesome on this platform.
2) Got a 1.5 car garage I put two cars in. The stock setup doors open so wide! This would be extremely helpful....
3) It's my car, shutup! Again, LOL!

Hate to disappoint, I know I'm losing respect here. But I really do like the look. And I've never really put much stock into what people think (outside of the teenage years. Like most of us, I wanted to look like everyone else so I could claim to be different. LOL! We all remember them days!)

Anyway, does anyone know who is making these, if anyone....

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
Not sure where you can buy the kit. But here's some info on an install...

EDT: I found a universal kit and an Elise kit:

Lotus Elise Vertical Doors at Andy's Auto Sport

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
1,057 Posts
I just checked on verticaldoors.com site and they have the Evora, but not the Elise. Perhaps you could be their first? I’m sure some other company already has a kit, but I don’t know if they’d still be in production.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
638 Posts
And I've never really put much stock into what people think (outside of the teenage years. Like most of us, I wanted to look like everyone else so I could claim to be different. LOL! We all remember them days!)
From the outside people will think you did lambo doors just to show off.

I would advise against as these doors never seem to work right, often make egress more difficult, often are irreversible and end up causing other problems and headaches. Is there any in door wiring in the Elige? Aftermarket Lambo doors stress the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure where you can buy the kit. But here's some info on an install...

EDT: I found a universal kit and an Elise kit:

Lotus Elise Vertical Doors at Andy's Auto Sport

Whoa! I’d like to do this mod but I don’t think I’m $6500 into doing it! Damn!

But thank you brother! Mucho appreciado!

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked on verticaldoors.com site and they have the Evora, but not the Elise. Perhaps you could be their first? I’m sure some other company already has a kit, but I don’t know if they’d still be in production.
Thanks for the tip buddy! Can’t wait to see you this year in WI !!!

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
267 Posts
There is a kit somewhere specific to the S2. I see them pop up from time to time on eBay. They are made of laser cut steel and the plate is very thick (heavy AF). I think that was done because the hinge in the Elise door is integral to the side impact protection. So....

I put this in the same category as carbon fiber doors for my Spyder. I want it, I can afford it but I have zero control over the soccer mom's who constantly try to T-bone my car every day. You are putting you life in the hands of some (probably unknown) aftermarket company. Do you really think they did proper engineering including FEA workup and modeling of the forces involved in a side impact?

Good luck with your search. A set will pop up somewhere. Just don't order a generic kit. The Elise hinge is a thing of engineering beauty. It is quite unique and larger than just about every other car on the market. Generic vertical door kit is likely not going to work without extensive modifications.

Reactions: Glamrock

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the outside people will think you did lambo doors just to show off.

I would advise against as these doors never seem to work right, often make egress more difficult, often are irreversible and end up causing other problems and headaches. Is there any in door wiring in the Elige? Aftermarket Lambo doors stress the wiring harness.
There is a kit somewhere specific to the S2. I see them pop up from time to time on eBay. They are made of laser cut steel and the plate is very thick (heavy AF). I think that was done because the hinge in the Elise door is integral to the side impact protection. So....

I put this in the same category as carbon fiber doors for my Spyder. I want it, I can afford it but I have zero control over the soccer mom's to constantly try to T-bone my car every day. You are putting you life in the hands of some (probably unknown) aftermarket company. Do you really think they did proper engineering incline FEA workup and modeling of the forces involved in a side impact?

Good luck with your search. A set will pop up somewhere. Just don't order a generic kit. The Elise hinge is a thing of engineering beauty. It is quite unique and larger than just about every other car on the market. Generic vertical door kit is likely not going to work without extensive modifications.
Good advice. To be honest, this is probably a pipe dream. Just thought I’d ask. Thanks for giving me some considerations I hadn’t considered…👍

·
Administrator
11,980 Posts

Read about Jon Bondys experience

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Its your car, if you love it do it! Just keep in mind it's likely to lower the value of the car and the odds of you recovering the investment at time of sale is about the same as getting stuck by lightening. That has not stopped me in the past; if I love it I'll do it and not worry about the money... :)

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its your car, if you love it do it! Just keep in mind it's likely to lower the value of the car and the odds of you recovering the investment at time of sale is about the same as getting stuck by lightening. That has not stopped me in the past; if I love it I'll do it and not worry about the money... :)
Dude, I’m planning on being buried in it! No problems there! LOL!

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Knew the $$$ would get his attention

• Haha
Reactions: sege and Glamrock

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Read about Jon Bondys experience
Knew the $$$ would get his attention
Hahaha! No doubt! That’s close to a SC! I was a bit taken aback for sure!

·
Registered
126 Posts
They look cool, I have experienced these hinges on multiple exotics and it is terrible. The whole movement is stiff and shaky and honestly embarrassing

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don’t do it Glam!

😂🤣 nahh in all seriousness that is a cool pic. Do whatever you like, don’t let anyone tell you different 🤘
I know man, I know. It’s not even on my list of mods. Just something I’m considering for later.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They look cool, I have experienced these hinges on multiple exotics and it is terrible. The whole movement is stiff and shaky and honestly embarrassing
Well! Thanks for that! Guess maybe I should try one out first. That’s definitely NOT what I want! I mean, getting in and out of a car with Lambo doors ain’t gonna embarrass my loud ass, but I don’t want shoddy ya know?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The ol' reverse Chapman. Complicate and add weight 😁. Just giving you ****, make the meanie what you want it to be, just do it cleanly.
Cracking me up! And I hear you, just daydreaming what with all the snow…

·
Registered
510 Posts
I love the way they look, and they make getting in and out in cramped parking spaces easier, but (for the kit that I bought second hand) it required significant modifications to the body, and the gas strut was to pass through the front wheel liners, very close to the tires. I asked someone to install them, and he basically refused (after I was into it for $750 in labor, and $1,500 in parts). There are kits for other cars where the struts are vertical, rather than horizontal, and those might go in easier; I think I saw one on an R8. I wonder how many people here would buy a kit if it were better designed and reasonably priced. Not at all stock, but I find everyone's esthetic is different here (and everywhere).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts