The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modern Wedgie said:
I still wouldn't waste my money :D
Me either, not on the C5, but if the Elise doesn't keep me happy past two or three years, the C6 will be my next car. I get bored very quickly of cars. Let's see if the Elise keeps me entertained. I'm thinking it will. I also like low production cars, which the C6 won't be.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Still, figure any fully loaded TransAm would be only about 10K cheaper than this thing, they really ARE undercutting themselves. Are they expecting the sales to drop that much because people are holding out for the next gen Vette? Why would you buy the first year of a new evolution? (Elise not withstanding that since it's been around a bit)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A C5 Z06 = one great car for the $ !!! In an autocross or track day they are the equal of, or dare I say better than, the Elise. If it is just performance your looking at the Z06 is terrific and a real deal for the money.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure in two or three years, I'm obligated to get a Vette. I'll be older, balder, and fatter. Stereotypical owner. I won't fit in the Elise anymore by then anyway. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 35 and had a 2002 vette prior to moving to the US last oct. I can say that I was NEVER a vette man but after driving one in my search for a new toy... well I was sold. This C5 is a great car for the money and a pile of fun on the track as well.. That said, I am really looking forward to my Elise, just can't get here soon enough

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mearle said:
I am 35 and had a 2002 vette prior to moving to the US last oct. I can say that I was NEVER a vette man but after driving one in my search for a new toy... well I was sold. This C5 is a great car for the money and a pile of fun on the track as well.. That said, I am really looking forward to my Elise, just can't get here soon enough
Are you keeping the Vette and getting the Elise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, had to sell the vette when i moved to the US. I loved it though. have an RX8 to play with now while i wait for the real deal. Have a Formula renault for the track

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It may not be a corner demon but it is a good sportscar in the context of american sport car mentality, big block, lots of horsies and punch. It deserves its own spot in any stable for the right condition.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
But the price of admission for driving a vette is high, as Tidalwave says, the typical vette owners is fat, old and bald! :D

Gold chains are necessary option as well

Chris;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
But the price of admission for driving a vette is high, as Tidalwave says, the typical vette owners is fat, old and bald! :D

Gold chains are necessary option as well

Chris;)

Don't forget the Foster Grants too... :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Harsh, albeit with some truth to it.:D

·
Registered
587 Posts
babak said:
It may not be a corner demon but it is a good sportscar <snip>
Not a corner demon?? What do you call a car with more than 1 lateral G on the skid pad then?

The Z06 is one amazing car. I've driven them on a few occasions and they are an absolute hoot. The rear end is more lively than I would have expected, but then I found out later that the tranny is actually in the back, which might help explain it. (I thought the shifter felt like a cable drive unit...)

It's been tough holding out seeing as my current "fun car" (heavily modded E36 M3) is unfortunately bearing the results of the second law of thermodynamics. And I think I'll be lucky to have an Elise by this Fall.

New loaded Z06's can be had on lot for $44k and change. That's less than an Elise with metallic paint and sports pack and nothing else.

This sale just ended, but to give you an idea:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=746818

- John

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Too bad the Z06 has such a stigma attached to it, it really is a terrific car and for the money a real performance deal.
I think a lot of people on the forum will be quite surprised when they show up to autocross or track their Elise and get pounded by a Z06.
But Corvettes in general do have the "gold chain" stigma don't they?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, I love the new Vette. I think in 2-3 years if I am looking for something different, I'll sell my Elise and get the C6 Z06 (used). After living with the S2K and Elise for so long, I think I may long for some torque by then.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The latest edition of Sports Car International had a review of three track-day cars - Mitsu Evo RS, Porsche GT3, 'Vette Z06. They didn't speak too highly of the Z06's transitions in the corners.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
They can speak as highly or lowly as they like, all it affects is their reputation for accuracy. There is a reason that the Z06 is dominant in Super Stock autocross. It's not because the car can't transition, because autocross has more transition than any other form of driving.

If they liked the GT3 better, that doesn't make the Z06 bad...the GT3 is supposed to handle extremely well. If they liked the Lancer better, they can keep it...despite AWD, the Lancer is one stock class down from the Z06, getting beaten by 4th generation Corvettes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts