The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just plunked down $60 for a hand wash. Go straight home, about 15 miles or so, and when I get out I find the ENTIRE sides and rear of the car covered with black speckles. Nice look for a yellow car. Stuff only comes off with solvent, and not easily. I've spent over an hour already and not even close to being half done. AAAUUURRRGGGHHHHH:mad::mad::mad:
I may have to take it to FVMC to fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Have you tried clay bar?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the clay bar and gave it a try with mixed results. Some came right off and others needed a lot of rubbing. Tried the solvent and they came right off. BTW the solvent is "Goof Off". I really don't relish having rub every square inch!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Don't let anyone wash or touch your Lotus.

You do it.

Takes what?

5 minutes?

And you do the best job!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Found the clay bar and gave it a try with mixed results. Some came right off and others needed a lot of rubbing. Tried the solvent and they came right off. BTW the solvent is "Goof Off". I really don't relish having rub every square inch!
Make sure you re-wax that thing!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Careful with the heavy rubbing. You are likely putting very fine scratches into the paint that aren't immediately visible. I did this to my parent's car trying to get some fallout pollution off the unwaxed paint. My only suggestions are to make sure you use light pressure and a microfiber cloth with a generous amount of cleaning agent.

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Yes, start with the least abrasive substance and only move up if you must.

I'd try 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, but am no expert by any means..

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
So have these spots been hiding under the dirt on your car all winter? Or is this something you picked up on your way from the car wash?? Or are you accusing the car wash people of doing it???

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think some of the spots were hidden under the winter's filth but most were picked up on the ride home. Normally the guys return it spotless, I think they may have been a little hasty though because it was so busy. And I didn't really check it out before leaving - I just hopped in and took off. I found they missed cleaning the sides of a couple spokes too.

I almost screwed up this morning. I took 0000 steel wool to some spots and it worked well - until I saw it at a different angle. Yep, micro fine scratches. It took a lot of rubbing with the Zaino swirl remover to get them out. Fortunately I only did it to two spots before noticing.

I have completly given up on the starshield in front of the rear wheels. No amount of rubbing with solvent or gasoline or clay bar touches it. This will be left for the boys at FVMC.

Got a coat of Zaino's wax on her today. Of course, I found more spots (real tiny) that I missed.:( Staring at this car in the bright sunlight starts to make your eyes go bonkers after a while.:crazyeyes These spots will have to stay for now........I'm going out for a cruise - it's 70 today and it's the first chance to have the top off in a very long time.:eek::shift:

From a distance she looks great - you have to get up real close to see the imperfections. Thanks for all the tips!

edit: Time to buy some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and give it a try.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the coons & possums did it!
Na, they hang out in the back. The coons have come out of hibernation and are back. The possums never stopped. Did you know possums are completly blind to red laser light? I was hoping to mess with them like I do the cat but they can not see it at all. I'll have to try it with the coons.:p

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Time to buy some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and give it a try.
It works great, as I'd mentioned, but will require rewaxing. A friend gave me a Craftsmen random-orb buffer (very slow, thankfully) and when I use the machine w/Hand Glaze and then machine-wax, the car is so slippery that my Battery Tender container slides off (even tho I put rubber on its shiny bottom).

I use, as I've mentioned > few times: carcareonline.com

This guy KNOWS his stuff and deals w/anal P & BMW guys. (We don't agree on the use of machines, but he's never, ever been wrong.) You may want to contact him.

Do we know what this substance was?

good luck

·
Registered
682 Posts
For the starshield, try all-purpose cleaner. I tried everything in my detailing cabinet of tricks to remove rubber marks from my starshield and then the dealer washed my car after service (BF took it in and didn't tell them to NOT wash it) and when they delivered it back to me, there was much less track rubber on it. We asked them what they used, and they brought out a rag and all-purpose cleaner. Still takes some work (spent three hours this past weekend getting most of the remaining stuff off the car) but at least it works. Clay bar is good for the painted parts - be advised that there are actually different levels of "abrasiveness" with clay, so you could move to more aggressive stuff if what you have isn't working. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts