The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think failure is likely the wrong description. It performed admirably!

I am the constant gardening type of owner and not a drive and forget type. I had recently performed a maintenance blitz and wanted to give it an Italian Tune up. I ripped 3rd and 4th gear all the way to redline. was a blast. Next day I had panel off to replace a janky 02 sensor rig I had failed on... and saw big chunks of the insert on my panel.

Ordered some replacements Lotus Elise Exige Engine Mount Inserts

popped in the front today. When I took my access panel off yesterday, there was fine poly dust on it, and when I had the mount in my hand there simply wasn't any insert there any more.

So I will test the vibration tomorrow, I recall it being significant when I first got my car vehicle. I basically put 40k miles on the manly mount inserts that the car came with. manly mount inserts are slightly firmer than oem, which are not rigid enough with stock power. Check the video out. Engine is floppping about with oem inserts and although not perfect much less movement with the manly inserts.

I have approx 290 at the wheels.

Sooo give your motor mounts a look see next time your poking about and see the condition. typically only front and rear mounts are of concern.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Are you thinking the harder compound Inserts ate away at the softer OEM mounts after 40k~ miles?

Edit: Just re-read... The opposite happened???

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No actually it was the opposite. The oem mounts ate the manly insert. Nothing at all wrong with the actual motor mount. I kinda was suprized

·
Registered
686 Posts
Interesting... perhaps a bad batch of poly during manufacturing that became brittle over time??? Chunks, no sign of being melted? Was the rear insert also showing the same condition?

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear insert shows no deformities at all. And I am running a ceramic coated header with no heat shield clam, but there is a extra layer of heat shield around existing rear mount heatshield as well as under the trunk area. Heat has been managed. I have a naked rear end as well.( or however described...)

No sign of front having heat damage. strange, yes large chunks first time I noticed, right under the mount and then fine almost powder this last time in same place. The remains felt "greasy" if that makes any sense very strange indeed...

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
112 Posts
This is interesting, hadn't heard of mounts from 111hq. How are these different from the BOE ones? They don't look that much diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts